Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
neanthe bella (parlor palm) seeds... So confused!!!

Posted by txtyegrr none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 12:10

So, I bought some parlor palms the other day, and waiting for them to come in the mail. I got 30 of them... I thought it was SOOO crazy I got 30, what am I gonna do with 30 palm trees, but it was cheaper that way.
Well, as I am waiting for the seeds to come in (By mail) I get to thinking (Usually not a good idea lol) What if one stalk is one seed? Which is why some only have like 5 stalks, and some have a bunch (I just bought a tiny one, and there are tons of stalks). So, I guess that is my question. Does one seed equal 1 stalk, or does one seed equal a full plant that I see everywhere?

On a related note, I also have 5 boston fern cuttings, will that branch off into a full plant, or do I need to add them together???

Thank you for any light that can be shed on this... I am a single mom and we do all kinds of projects (I and my 5 y/o daughter) and I think I have stepped a head a bit too fast without thinking on this one....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: neanthe bella (parlor palm) seeds... So confused!!!

Single seed = single stem unless you keep pinching back at the nodes to force development of secondary stems. Best to plant in small cluster. Same for ferns although the root ball, once mature enough will generate new branches if not planted too deeply.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here