Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chili pepper farming for all!

Posted by gabrielfollis none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 12:23

I just updated with some more pics of some more peppers I am starting from seed. If anyone is growing any vegetables from seed this year, lets see some photos!

Here is a link that might be useful: CLICK TO SEE PHOTOS & BLOG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chili pepper farming for all!

Once all the seed pots have sprouted I can remove the plastic cover from the miniature greenhouse, and then the chilies can get some good fresh (indoor) air.

Those pots that have already sprouted really need to be removed from under the cover as soon as they sprout, as soon as the seedlings break the soil service. Keeping them covered only encourages damp-off to develop and leggy plants because of the limited light. There is no benefit to keeping them covered and exposure to air, especially moving air is vital. I assume you know that the plastic covers are not required for germination. They are just a convenience for the grower and any cover should be removed for a period of time 2-3x daily for air exposure.

be sure to avoid moving the seed pots around too much if you don't have to. Also, you probably shouldn't touch the sprouts either. Their delicate stalks are very fragile and it would be a shame to break them and have to start over from seed again.

May ask what's the source of this info? It is contrary to standard practice. In the greenhouse we transplant 100's of seedlings, peppers included, at the cotyledon stage every day. With even minimal care it is easy to do and the plants not only tolerate it but benefit from it as well.

Dave

o
RE: chili pepper farming for all!

Just back into the gardenweb. Not far from anywhere in Illinois.

Didn't knw a chili farm was even in Illinois.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here