Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for Lisianthus tips

Posted by katkthms none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 12:33

I am going to attempt to grow lisianthus from seed. I've heard it is particularly difficult to grow from seed. Any tips specific to lisianthus?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for Lisianthus tips

I am not by any means an expert, but this is my third year growing them from seed. They are very very slow. Your post doesnt say what zone you are in, but where I am in WI, They need to be started very early.The first year I tried them I didnt begin until March, which meant I didnt get blooms until mid September. I had been warned that they can take 5-6 months to bloom, so I kept them in pots, instead of planting them in the ground. When frosts started hitting in October, I brought them inside and they continued to bloom well in the window.

Last year I began earlier, but still kept them in pots. I didnt care for them as well as I should have, several of them never developed stalks and blooms. THis year I got the seeds started Mid January, so I am planning on putting them in one of my beds and hoping that they will do better than they have in pots. At 6 weeks old they are still tiny, just beginning to develop their second set of true leaves. 4-5 of them in a 2" pot still have plenty of room. I found this page very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisianthus

o

Here is another link that is less geared for the professional grower

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisianthus

o

Sounds good Mandolls. I have grown them a couple of times and I too am far from an expert. They take a LONG time.

They take awhile to germinate and take forever to get any size. Watching how you water is of utmost importance...DO NOT overwater, very easy to do because of their size.

You might be too late in starting seed this season, I am not sure of your zone. I started mine a few weeks ago and will need the time to get any size on them before they go in the ground in late May.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here