Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gltrap54

Zinnia Seed Question

gltrap54
12 years ago

Starting Magellan Mix F1 for the first time this year. I've received my seeds from Harris & I'm wondering which end of the seed is up, or does it even matter how (i.e,which end) it's placed in the medium.

Comments (16)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Flat on its side.

Zinnas sprout and grow very quickly so be ready to transplant them at least a couple of times before you'll be able to set them out. Honestly they do much better direct seeded.

Dave

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Dave! Well geeeze........ I have almost zero (positive) experience growing annuals from seed (i.e.,outside).... & I'm gonna need about 150 plants for raised beds & containers. Sounds like I'll be up to my ears in zinnias if starting them inside. Decisions, decisions.......

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Just don't start them too soon. Say 3 weeks before plant out, no more than a month. For our May 1st plant sale we start them the first week in April.

Once germinated they grow like gang busters. Much faster than most other annuals. They quickly outgrow pots, light heights, windows, etc. and start falling over and breaking stems - depending on variety of course.

The short compact varieties are more tolerant.

Dave

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

10-4 I'll prolly have to taser myself to prevent starting them early! Everything I've read says 4-6 weeks. My lfd is a bit behind yours, so I'll need to demonstrate some self control! ;)

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Hi there.

I live in Zone 3 and planted Magellan Mix Zinnias last year. I've never grown zinnias before.

I direct seeded on June 1st, and as mentioned, they grow like gangbusters. I had beautiful blooms until about the end of September.

If you'd like, go to the website of the company I bought them from, www.veseys.com and watch their zinnias from seed video. I think mine even looked better than in the video! They were spectacular =:)

Oh, and I usually post on a different forum but read this one frequently. I'm in no way associated with Veseys.

• Harris Seeds
    12 years ago

Zinnias do much better direct sown but can be transplanted as well. They have a delicate root system so you'll want to make sure that you do not start them in a soil mass that is too small as they could get root bound. Also when transplanting, be careful not to disturb the roots. Jiffy pellets and pots work great for Zinnias since they can be transplanted pot and all. Depending on the size of container they are started in, they can be transplanted 3-5 weeks after sowing. As far as a top and bottom when sowing the seed, once germinating the radicle will push it into the correct position so planting them on their side is best.

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What a coincidence! The last two posts..... I've actually bought Magellan Mix Zinnia seed & low & behold they came from Harris Seeds. Thanks folks for the input! I'm still leaning toward forcing the seed indoors. Keep your fingers crossed!

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Maybe you could start some indoors and some outdoors and do a comparison.

Then you'll know for next year which works better for you =:)

• mccommas
    12 years ago

I am with Dave. The Zinnas I got from a mixed seed box grew just fine directly seeded in the ground, except they were all purple! Every single one the same shade.

I got a whole box from Walmart this year of just Zinnas of all different colors -- at least according to the picture on the box. I will be up to my armpits this year in Zinnas!

• nhardy
    12 years ago

I'm joining you in being over loaded in zinnias this year. My sister ordered 6 different ones.

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OP here....... Well, right or wrong, I've sown 180+ seeds (Magellan Mix) indoors. My lfd is around mid April (depending on who you ask), so that will give me about 5 weeks.

• zen_man
    12 years ago

I have had zinnias bloom indoors in as little as 5 weeks from seed.

ZM

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zenman, me thinks I won't be nearly as prolific as yourself! Just a hunch...... ;) I'll be fortunate to get them to bloom period....

• nhardy
    12 years ago

Finally, I found a free moment to sow my zinnia seeds. I have been simply overwhelmed. I ended up planting 214 seeds. I'll get half or less and my sister is getting the rest. From 8 inches all the way up to 4 ft. tall are the ones my sister picked out to grow this year.

• Jon_dear
    12 years ago

2 years ago we started inside and found we didn't have enough to fill the bed we wanted to fill. I planted seeds in every other spot when we transplanted. In 3 or 4 weeks you couldn't tell them apart. I won't bother starting inside again- really.

• skyelily24
    12 years ago

I'm a cut flower grower. I start them in 4-packs in a green house 3-4 weeks before planting outside. Easy to grow . Just lay seed down flat on medium surface and sprinkle a very little medium on top of them. I let the seeds peek through since light aids germination. Plant out before they get rootbound or they will be singles instead of doubles. They also don't like their roots disturbed.