Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerry71_gw

Need more help with snapdragon seedlings.

Jerry71
13 years ago

My seedlings are now 2" tall and have 2 sets of true leaves. When and where do I start pinching and when do I transplant to hanging basket? Also, when can I expose them to direct sunlight? As I said before, I am new to growing flowers from seeds. Any and all help will be very welcome.

Picture of seedlings can be viewed at following URL.

Thanks, Jerry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snapdragon seedlings.

Comments (8)

• madrone
    13 years ago

Jerry,
    It looks like you could pot up your snapdragons into their final pot (though I've never seen a variety that lends itself to hanging pot material...all the cultivars I've grown have always had an upright habit). I've never pinched them, since they branch out as soon as you start dead-heading them. Being in zone 6a, you will have to wait until it warms up outside, probably the May long weekend before taking them outside. Then you will have to slowly acclimatize them to sunlight. For this task, I usually put them under remay cloth for 3-4 days in an area that gets some direct sunlight for part of the day. I normally plant the seeds in April, then they are the right size to be planted out around mid May. They tend to grow quite quickly. What cultivar are you growing?

• Jerry71
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi madrone, thanks for your help. Yes, I was surprised as well first time I saw trailing snapdragon in Johnny�s Seeds catalog. When I saw the picture I just had to have the seeds. I have never seen them in a nursery. I will give them a call or send them email with picture and see what they have to say about pinching.
    Thanks, Jerry
    Here is a link to the picture of snapdragon hanging basket:
    http://www.johnnyseeds.com/popup.aspx?src=images/product/large/1265_1_.jpg
    or
    http://tillsonburgarian.blogspot.com/2011/01/our-gardening-season-has-started.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Trailing Snapdragon Lampion

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Hi Jerry - Very pretty, I hadn't seen these.

The conventional advice for a regular upright snapdragon is to pinch when seedlings have 4-5 pairs leaves, or to pinch purchased plants back by about 1/3 when planting - but I have no idea how that applies to the trailing types.

You'll have to let us know how they turn out and perform for you.

• Jerry71
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have sent email to Johnny Seeds but I guess I have to wait till Monday for an answer. Did you see picture of trailing snapdragon in hanging basket? I must have it!
    I will be posting updates on my blog on a weekly basis.
    You can comment on the post by loging in as anonymous. My blog is open. BTW, I have not seen this snapdragon anywhere else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening updates

• Jerry71
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My snappies have a new bed and doig well! What a ride it was for the last 4 weeks and I know that new problems will arise.
    I have posted progress report and some pictures on my blog. Please, feel free to leave comment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snapdragon progress.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Those are looking good, by the time your snow is gone they should have some nice growth.

Thunbergia - may take from 1 - 3 weeks to germinate @ 70-75F. Pre-soaking the seeds overnight may speed the timing up a little but it isn't required.

You seem to be somewhat new to growing from seed. When the temps have warmed and weather is more springlike, don't be in too big of a hurry to transition your seedlings outside. Hardening off, introducing to wind and real sun, is a gradual process, take your time and don't rush them for best results.

• Jerry71
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I am relatively new to growing flowers from seeds. It is only my second year. Vegetables I have been growing with success for quite a while but flowers are different animal, so to speak. Johnny Seeds website says to keep snapdragon seedlings at lower temperature at night and so I did and boy, do they love it. In the morning they look like they are ready to jump out of the basket, so straight and perky.
    BTW, weatherman says that snow should be gone in 2 weeks. We will see.
    Thanks for all the help. I'll be updating my garden progress every Wednesday on my blog.

• Jerry71
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have just posted update and pictures on my re-designed blog. I noticed that 2 seedlings had leaf damage, the green was gone and just white webbing was left, like some bug was eating it but I couldn't see any. I snipped the tops and saved damaged leaves to look at under stereoscope. If somebody knows what it is and what to do about it, please let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snapdragon and garden update