Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Time Growing Seeds

Posted by lexiebmax05 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 13, 10 at 13:15

Okay folks, so heres some pictures of my setup of just a few tomato and bell pepper seedlings. I've been told so many mixed things on what to do. This is my first time trying to do this by seed and I thought it would be relatively simple but no so. I sprouted both varieties in a jiffy starter with pellets and then once they were about 3 inches high, I replanted in these foam cups and poked a few holes in the bottom. The tomatoes are growing fast but they look a little leggy. The bell peppers are growing sort of slow but they are very green and seem healthy. I have two large clamp lights above them hooked to my cabinets with two large "grow bulbs" in them. The bulb gets pretty warm and I thought this would be enough light for just this little bit of plants...but Im not sure why the tomatoes are so skinny and leggy. I've asked people about putting a small fan on them and putting a heat mat underneath for the peppers but I was told that was unnecessary...what do I need to do??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Time Growing Seeds

Your little guys look good!

About being leggy... because your lamps get hot they can not get too close to the plants. I would get a shop light 2 or 4ft (4ft is cheaper but an over kill for your little set-up) and get it very close to your plants, almost touching your maters. These lamps will not burn the plants, they get just warm to the touch. You will have to 'tilt' is because your maters are taller and I would run them 16 hours a day. I would keep one of your lamps with grow bulbs on for heat, not light, and keep it closer to the peppers, they love the heat. You are going to have 4ft maters by May!

Your soil looks quite dry though. Did you pre-moisten it before planting? If not I would give them a healthy water.

Your peppers will grow slower than your maters...they look healthy, I would not worry about their small size.

Happy gardening, I hope that helps!

Keriann~

o

Could she also maybe re-pot the tomato seedlings and bury them deeper? I've always done that w/ my tomato seedlings, buried them up to at least the first set of leaves; what gets buried grows more roots.

o

Yep tomatoes are very leggy as the lights are way too far away and too much heat. Either switch your bulbs to CFL and lower the lamps to 1" above the plants (you'll have to deep transplant those really tall ones*) or switch to a shop light.

*16 oz. cups with the transplant set right on the bottom of the cup and all of it buried in soil except for the top set of leaves.

pepper seedlings look fine just as is for now but with the lights that high they will turn leggy too.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here