Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west9491

jiffy organic seed starting mix

west9491
14 years ago

I put some of this stuff in some peat trays, and the water doesn't seem to be going through, there is water sitting on top of the medium, and some in the tray at the bottom that is not soaking up, what should i do.

Comments (10)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Take all the soil out and put it in a container.

Add water and combine, like you would cake or brownie mix. Use your hands are really mix it all up.

For starting seeds it should be moist but still hold its shape....not soupy.

Or you could let it sit for awhile, it will eventually soak up the water, but if you water too much there is no way to correct it without pulling it out and adding more dry soil.

I always pre-moisten and then add it to my plastic containers. NO peat pots for me.. that is a nightmare.

keriann~

• diane_nny
    14 years ago

If you use warm water, it will soak up better.

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

diane is right. Also, if you use warm water, the seedlings will be closer to their optimum temp for germinating.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Ah, yes

I forgot the water temp... I forget that because I only use 24 hr old water at room temp to get rid of the chlorine in it.

Thanks!

• jillca
    14 years ago

I've got a horrible problem with the Jiffy organic seed starting mix. It actually acts hydrophobic. I've started all my seeds (the soil mix felt slightly damp, so I wasn't concerned) Now, two days later, after bottom watering, the packs are still floating in the water. Spraying water on top - it just puddles. Horrible stuff - I'll never use it again.
    Does anyone have any recommendations, other than warm water?

Would adding a bit if dishwashing liquid help to break the surface tension?

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

"I've started all my seeds (the soil mix felt slightly damp, so I wasn't concerned)"

I'm confused, does this mean you thoroughly wet the seed starting mix, then squeezed out most of the excess water, before putting it into your cell packs?

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

If you add dry mix to a container and then dump water on it, it will act as you describe.. it will repel it.

I would pick your seeds out and try again with mixing up the soil with water and then adding your seeds again.

NO SOAP, that would not help.

Also, after I set my seeds into my moist soil, I will not water again till are ¾ dry. Usually this is after they have germinated, so I am not sure why you would be watering again so soon after sowing...??...

What seeds are you starting, that makes a big difference on germination rates?

Keriann~

• hank55
    10 years ago

I bought two bags of it, one bag smelled awful ,it would take your breath away, after it aired out some , we decided it was ammonium from urine.

I dont know why that would be in the bag according to the content label.

My wife lived on a cattle farm ,she thinks thats the smell of it

• deep_woods
    10 years ago

I posted this under the seed starting thread as well.

Jiffy Seed Starting Mix works fine and easy to hydrate if you do two simple things:

1) microwave distilled water to 130-140 degrees fahrenheit or max hand hot temperature. Using a liquid measuring pitcher place 1 quart of Jiffy SSM in a clean container like a one gallon zip lock bag. Then add 1 cup of hot water to the bag or container. Expel any excess air and zip bag up.

2) Using your hands grip and massage the bag. This step takes 2 minutes max.

You will now have hydrated Jiffy SSM.

Want to do a whole bag? Add 4 cups hand hot water. Wash and dry your hands and one arm up to elbow. Plunge hand and arm into mix and grip and squeeze Jiffy SSM. Be sure to get all of mix fully hydrated. Remove hand and arm and wash.

This step takes 5 minutes max.

You now have Jiffy SSM fully hydrated at the correct hydration. When you add the water to the mix it will seem like it is not enough but after 2-5 minutes of mixing you can squeeze a handful of the mix and just barely get a little water out.

I only use Jiffy SSM. I have had trouble with some of the other seed starting mixes ( Schul.. et al) over the years. I have not tried the other expensive mixes mentioned above. I go cheap. Works great.

I grow plants from seeds under lights most years 50+ flower varieties as well as some bushes and trees etc.

Rick

• aloha10
    10 years ago

In fairness to Jiffy Mix, I have used it for years and have never had a problem. I search it out over other brands. I Use the deep woods method described in the previous post. Just pour in some hot water and mix. Don't even measure, just guesstimate. Jiffy Mix and Pro Mix for potting up have been my favorites. I direct seed most flowers and veggies but use the two mentioned for starting peppers, tomatoes, leeks and some flowers. Dried out peat will repel moisture. That's why it is not recommended for a mulch. Good Luck.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!