Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengnometx

Starting indoors for elementary school plant sale

gardengnometx
12 years ago

We are having a plant sale at my son's elementary school to raise money for the pta. It is scheduled for about 6 weeks from now, and I already have some stuff started. I am an experienced gardener, but have no experience starting transplants; I live in 8b and have always planted transplant tomatoes and direct sown most other garden crops.

We have a nicely-equipped greenhouse that is new and well-built, but lacks lighting. We don't have the funds to get good lights. Yet. I would like to start the seeds for at least some time in the classroom if possible. My experimental setup at home has a largish clamp lamp with a 100W full-spectrum incandescent (it's gonna be too hot, I bet) bulb over a tray with coconut coir in plantable pots. I also have some south window light and a white posterboard (to be alum foiled) but some classrooms don't have much natural light. I have been watering with foliar-strength Hasta-Gro half the time. What is my best bang to buck choice for lights?

This is just a pilot project and people are going to want to support the pta and all, but I don't want to sell crummy plants. What are some good choices? I was thinking tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, basil, marigolds etc, squash.

I apologize for the open-endedness of my question but I would love to know what you sagely plant folks think.

Comments (3)