Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus on Seed Mix

Posted by veeta 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 16, 11 at 13:35

I filled new plastic trays with a purchased seed starting mix that I had dampened (Espoma organic brand), with the intention to plant the seeds soon after that. However, I got sick and waited a week. The trays are in a sunny room, but the plastic lids were on top (meaning some condensation occurred). I did open the vent slats on the lids after a few days.
When I finally got around to planting my seeds, I discovered I already have a little white fungus on the seed starting mix! It is not everywhere, but on a few cells of the tray. Should I toss it, or take my chances that better management of the humidity will prevent my seedlings from being affected?
I have had great success starting seeds directly outdoors, but this is my first season doing indoor seed starting (I bought a grow light and everything), so any advice would be appreciated!
I am a little suspect of the Espoma soil mix, and I have some Promix as well. Its texture seems less conducive to fungus, but I hate to toss this for no reason and have to bleach all those trays!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus on Seed Mix

I would use the new mix and not try and start seeds where the fungus already has a head start on the seeds. I would not throw out the mix, just use it for something other than for seed starting. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here