Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valadelphia

Fungus on Seed Mix

veeta
13 years ago

I filled new plastic trays with a purchased seed starting mix that I had dampened (Espoma organic brand), with the intention to plant the seeds soon after that. However, I got sick and waited a week. The trays are in a sunny room, but the plastic lids were on top (meaning some condensation occurred). I did open the vent slats on the lids after a few days.

When I finally got around to planting my seeds, I discovered I already have a little white fungus on the seed starting mix! It is not everywhere, but on a few cells of the tray. Should I toss it, or take my chances that better management of the humidity will prevent my seedlings from being affected?

I have had great success starting seeds directly outdoors, but this is my first season doing indoor seed starting (I bought a grow light and everything), so any advice would be appreciated!

I am a little suspect of the Espoma soil mix, and I have some Promix as well. Its texture seems less conducive to fungus, but I hate to toss this for no reason and have to bleach all those trays!