Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My snapdragon seedlings are spindly.

Posted by Jerry71 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 13:47

Even though I grow my seedlings under full spectrum fluorescent grow light my seedlings are very spindly. They germinated in 7 days and now are 7 days old (7+7) and about 1" tall but as thin as a hair. The light is on 24/7 and about 12" from plants. What did I do wrong? Do they need fertilizer? Few hours of darkness? I am new to growing flowers from seed.
Jerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My snapdragon seedlings are spindly.

"Full spectrum" doesn't necessarily mean a lot when it comes to fluorescent bulbs. Some bulbs advertised as "full spectrum" aren't much different than "normal" bulbs. I use a combination of 4100K and 5000K bulbs, and get pretty close to an ideal spectrum for my seed-growing needs at a reasonable price.

12" is a pretty large gap unless you are using strong, high-density lighting. I have my fluorescents hanging so that they can be easily adjusted from 0" to 10" from the plants. Some of my benches have a larger range for larger plants.

It is a good idea to give plants a few hours of dark. They need to rest too. I typically set timers for 16 hours on / 8 hours off.

o

Thanks for such a quick reply. The color temperature of the lamps don't seem to be problem. I grew tomatoes, basil and peppers under same light and all were thick stemmed and robust plants. Maybe the distance as you suggested. Maybe too much plain water? I don't want to loose these seedlings :(
I'm setting up the time right now. Thanks for help.

o

I second dianemumm, no more than 2" from the top of the plant to the light. Your seedlings are stretching to get to the light.

o

Thanks robin_main. I have lowered the lights to about 1.5" 4 days ago and already I see that they are sturdier. I might have a snapdragon basket after all.
Thanks to all.
Jerry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here