Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tn_veggie_gardner

I Love Baker Creek!

tn_veggie_gardner
14 years ago

I got my order lightning fast! Everything received in great condition, as ordered. I'm wicked excited to get some of these heirlooms going in the garden this year! =)

Bianca di Maggio Onion

Chocolate Habanero Pepper

Tabasco Pepper

Caribbean Red Habanero Pepper

Thai Red Chilli Pepper

Thai Yellow Chilli Pepper

Sweet Red Stuffing Pepper

Sweet Yellow Stuffing Pepper

Orange Banana Tomato

Sungold Select II Tomato

2 packs Amish Paste Tomato

Roma Rio Grande Tomato

Black Cherry Tomato

Echinacea Purpurea

Stevia

{{gwi:220355}}

I also got my Germination Station & 2 Seedling Propagation Mats from IGC too! Who all has used the pluggable/heated seedling dones before. Any pointers/tips? Do they work well?

{{gwi:220356}}

- Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's Garden

Comments (11)

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

I love the pictures. They're all displayed so nicely... reminds me of Christmas morning! :)

I think the heat mats should serve you well. Especially since you're growing peppers. They often require a higher soil temp in order to germinate. Just be careful with the heat/ moisture ration. I imagine that's a field day for mold and such.

I grew heirloom tomatoes last year and loved them. Anywhere from green striped ones to the Mr. Stripeys that fit across both palms.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol...thanks. Many on here will let you know my pictures are so neat because i'm utterly obsessed with my gardening. Hah...Anyway, I studied many posts on here that say about what you said, that many veggies including peppers, require a higher soil temp for germination. Since I have a few uses for the heating mats already, including that, I figured they are worth it. =) Regarding the heirloom maters, I have so many now to choose from that I don't know if i'll even be able to grow half of them to fit in my garden...lol. I'm gonna at least add Amish Paste & Sungold Select II to my list of plants for this year. I can save the rest of the seeds for future plantings, trades, etc..

- Steve

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

Baker Creek opened a store close by in Petaluma in an old bank building. We visited last week and enjoyed shopping in a store devoted only to selling seed. We were able to find a lot of seed not usually available on seed racks and am anxious to get them started. Al

• californian
    14 years ago

I ordered six packs of seeds from Baker Creek and got them in six days. I planted four types of tomato seeds already and they are sprouting with a good germination rate but I am getting a lot of helmet heads, especially on Carbon.
    They included a free pack of Henderson's Pink Ponderosa tomato seeds that I didn't order, but apparently the free seeds are dead because not a single one sprouted.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yea, I got that pack too, californian. I'll have to give them a boost with the heat mat & some fert later on then if they're weak like that. Maybe i'll get a few to germinate.

- Steve

• courtcourt
    14 years ago

I got the pink ponderosas with this year's order as well, and I have three (out of three) that have sprouted (in a window, not under lights or with heat.)

I love Baker Creek's seed envelopes. I order from them specifically for that, isn't that sad? ;)

• armymomma
    14 years ago

I love Baker Creek too! Their catalog makes me drool :) Plus, their customer service kicks butt. tn_veggie...I'm curious as to how many stevia seeds you got in your packet? I bought a packet from the The Cooks Garden at my local feed-n-seed, and there were exactly 10 seeds in it!!! I'm kidna scared to grow them now, they are so tiny. hahaha.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

army: I haven't opened that one yet, but all the other supposed 20-25 seed packets i've opened have mostly had 2-3 times that much, at least! I swear the Sungold Select II has over 100 seeds in it. Just awesome. An excellent buy! A few of the peppers must be rare as they looked closer to the 25, but still a few more. I'll let you know in 2 weeks or so when I start sowing the Stevia, as to how many seeds I got. =)

- Steve

• homegrown54
    14 years ago

I patronize them not only for their great seed, but for their efforts at biological diversity. Monsanto is the biggest threat to the world's future in my mind, more than the damnable wars. When I see them bankrupting small farmers for saving seed, I get angry enough to bite nails. GOD BLESS GENETIC diversity!

• ninjabut
    14 years ago

Well I'm very excited about the new store in Petaluma! Calistoga, isn't it great?????
    Army- If the catalogue makes you drool (exactly my words! LOL) the store is even better! Not just seeds, but tools, herbal concoctions, gopher cages, bath salts etc etc etc!
    court- I'm planning on using the envelopes to frame!
    LOVE LOVE LOVE BC!

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote Randel about my fair project where I plan to grow more than 30 types of veggies in a raised bed or containers. I was hoping to get a discount on the seeds since this is a non-profit group and the display is not to garner ribbons but show a variety of plants.

Not only did he give me a discount, he sent me them all totally free! Even included some packages that I had bought from him a year or two ago, giving me fresh seeds.

FWIW, I get every seed I need from him, unless he doesn't carry them.

Now I have to figure out all the Days to Maturity so I know when to sow them in order for them to be mature by the middle of August.

Mike