Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irish_rose_grower

Pentas - anyone have luck growing red pentas from seed?

irish_rose_grower
14 years ago

I'm wanting to get this plant and thought it may cheaper to buy or trade seeds thank to buy the plant.

Has anyone grown these from seed? Are they easy to grow from seed and how long will it take to see blooms in zone 6/7?

thanks

Maureen

Comments (4)

• evelyn_inthegarden
    14 years ago

Hi, Maureen!

I got some seed this year so I will be trying it. I have not grown it from seed before, but if you want I can let you know the results when and if they do well.

Evelyn

• Mary Leek
    14 years ago

Hi Maureen,

I purchased seed but haven't yet planted them for growing this spring. It will be my first try with seed. The seed must be tiny as they are pelleted and are packaged in a little vial.

I also purchased six large Penta's at the Fall close out nursery sale and repotted them for overwintering in the cool greenhouse. They are still alive and putting out new growth at the base so I think I'll get a good summer's blooms from them. The reason I'm telling you this is because I also pinched off end shoots and rooted them in damp potting mix. I have one cutting that is currently blooming and the other's are green and I presume, rooted. I must have taken the cuttings about first of November. I think, if it were spring, the cuttings would have rooted more quickly. Anyway, if you happen to purchase a plant or two of Penta's, do try to take a few cuttings from them. It's a cheap way to expand the number of plants.

I believe they are hardy annuals so you should get blooms this year from plants started from seed. They are wonderful nectar plants for hummingbirds and butterfilies. I have limited sunny garden spots so want to make the best use of nectar producing plants. At the nursery, hummingbirds came right down in front of me to feed from the red pentas. After getting the plants home, the butterflies loved them, too.

Good luck and happy gardening.

Mary

• taxonomist
    14 years ago

I collected the very small seeds from a Pentas this past September. To check on viability, I sowed a few on a paper towel moistened with a dilute fertiliser solution, placed towel in a Baggie, and stored it on a furnace top. In 9 days small plants appeared. Today I sowed the tiny seeds on a sterile, powdered peat and covered with a glass pane. Literature indicates that light is necessary for gremination as well as 70 degree temp. Good Luck!

• Belgianpup
    14 years ago

Here's what it says on the Thompson & Morgan germination database:

"Pentas: 25-40 days to germination, surface sow on peaty soil, 70-75ºF, see #5.

"5. These seeds should be sown on the surface of the compost and not covered. The compost should be quite moist and we would recommend that you cover the seed container with a piece of glass or clear plastic and leave in a temperature of approximately 65 degrees F in a position which receives diffused light. Once some of the seeds have germinated air should be admitted gradually otherwise the seedlings may damp off.

"Alternatively the seeds can be sown on to moist blotting paper or kitchen towel placed in a saucer. Cover with a transparent cover and place on a windowsill which receives plenty of light, but not direct sunlight. Keep the blotting paper wet at all times and when the tiny seedlings are large enough to handle prick out into small pots. Use only pure peat with no fertilizers, added to which sphagnum moss should be added if available."

Good luck!

Sue