Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Transplanting Questions

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

Hi there.

I've been reading until I'm cross eyed and still have a few questions.

I understand that transplanting after I get true leaves can be good for the roots of seedlings. However, is it necessary? Do some people transplant mainly because of space limitations when they're first planting their seeds?

It seems some people plant in pots and snip off the least hardy plants. Others plant a ton of seeds in a container and then transplant them all. If it's good for the seedlings to be disturbed, couldn't a person just disturb them in their original pots without transplanting?

I'd like to skip any unnecessary steps. For example, when making homemade buns, most recipes say to let the dough rise 3-4 times. Over the years I've discovered that it doesn't really make any noticeable difference, with my recipe, in the end product if you only let them rise twice.

Is this the same kind of thing with transplanting seedlings indoors?

I have some 2-1/2 inch and 3 inch pots I'd like to plant in and have my plants grow in there until it's time to transplant outside. Any reason I can't?

Space for planting, having enough lights, etc., are not an issue here. I can have as much space and lights as I want. I just want efficiency.

Thanks =:)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm