Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Questions

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 13:54

Hi there.

I've been reading until I'm cross eyed and still have a few questions.

I understand that transplanting after I get true leaves can be good for the roots of seedlings. However, is it necessary? Do some people transplant mainly because of space limitations when they're first planting their seeds?

It seems some people plant in pots and snip off the least hardy plants. Others plant a ton of seeds in a container and then transplant them all. If it's good for the seedlings to be disturbed, couldn't a person just disturb them in their original pots without transplanting?

I'd like to skip any unnecessary steps. For example, when making homemade buns, most recipes say to let the dough rise 3-4 times. Over the years I've discovered that it doesn't really make any noticeable difference, with my recipe, in the end product if you only let them rise twice.

Is this the same kind of thing with transplanting seedlings indoors?

I have some 2-1/2 inch and 3 inch pots I'd like to plant in and have my plants grow in there until it's time to transplant outside. Any reason I can't?

Space for planting, having enough lights, etc., are not an issue here. I can have as much space and lights as I want. I just want efficiency.

Thanks =:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Questions

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 14:54

Many of us sow in flats for material and space saving - sowing in individual pots may not be efficient unless you need only a small number of plants.

Seedlings from seeds sown close in a flat can grow together and become overcrowded, tall and spindly, difficult to separate if left too long. It's beneficial to the seedling to 'pot up' or transplant to individual containers at this point ...they benefit from transplanting in that way, but often disturbing the roots will set the growth back or stall it temporarily, they don't actually benefit or improve from having their roots disturbed - not like punching down rising dough :)

If you started your seed in individual pots (or thin using scissors as you describe to a strongest seedling), you will not have to transplant if your pots are large enough to accommodate developing roots until time to plant out in the garden.

It may be a little harder to keep the moisture content appropriate in a large container for seedling roots so you'll need to pay special attention there if you choose to go that route. Watering not frequently enough can cause the top to dry out (where the roots will first be) and watering too often can leave the lower pot zone too wet.

o
RE: Transplanting Questions

I agree with the above post.

You do not have to be transplanted in ideal settings.

Good luck and let us know how they are doing ! : )

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here