Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lavender Hyssop From Seed

Posted by tn_veggie_gardner 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 19, 10 at 13:55

I hear a lot of people on GW mention how hard it is to grow Lavender from seed. Well, luckily, 2 of my Lavender Hyssop seeds popped through the soil a few days ago! =) I only started 6 so maybe i'll get lucky and have a few more of them germinate. Any pointers or tricks to help these wee babies along to become healthy seedlings? Do they need to be potted up soon (They are currently about an inch and a half tall)? Any preferred potting medium, fertilizer, etc. for them? Any & all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks! - Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lavender Hyssop From Seed

Actually, Lavender Hyssop (Agastache) is a totally different plant than Lavender (Lavendula). But, thats great you got germination! As a rule of thumb I usually transplant seedlings after 4 true leaves develop.

o

Wow...I never knew that. I did buy it just for the flowers. Is Lavender Hyssop edible? If not, is it just mainly grown for flowers like I am doing? Keep in mind I know nothing about it except for the picture I saw online...lol.

o

It is edible; it has a sweet, licorice scent and flavor. Usually doesn't flower in it's first year. Does not smell/taste like lavender. It's also sometimes called Anise Hyssop, if that gives you an indication of the flavor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lavender Hyssop

o

Cool...thanks for the info & link!

o

tn_veggie_gardner - I'm no master gardener but I believe the botanical name for anise hyssop is agastache foeniculum. It's called by several common names including hummingbird mint. The bees absolutely LOVE it. I've had bees stay on the same flower spike for 10-15 minutes or more at a time. All parts of the plant--including the seeds--have a strong licorice scent. Check the stems--they're square, like others in the mint family. I bought a packet of seeds at the job lots store three years ago and not only did it bloom the first year, it multiplied prolifically. Give it full sun and it's a happy camper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here