Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drip irrigation tomato seedlings

Posted by briergardener 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 15, 11 at 14:07

I am looking for the way to set some kind of irrigation for a tray with tomato seedlings.
I grow my seedlings w/t any problems every year, but this year i am planning to go on vacation for a week and don't want my seedlings to die. They will be under the lamp set on timer, but need to have some irrigation system.
Is it possible to buy or make by myself such a system?
Will appreciate any information.
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drip irrigation tomato seedlings

I think you could do it by setting the tray into a pan with a drainage hole small enough to cause the pan to drain slowly. With a timer allow enough water into the outer pan to fill it half full then shut off. The water in the pan will water the seedlings before the water drains out. Al

o

I have set all my seedlings into one giant flat and then placed a jug of water in it with a small hole pierced in the bottom of the jug to trickle out water. (then the seedlings could suck up water as needed/when available).

I was gone for about a week and it worked pretty well. Some plants were a bit dry but the humidity kept them okay. More importantly, none of them were too wet. It took some trial and error, it worked out well.

Keriann~

o

Thank you both for suggestion.
I will try keriann's method.

o

one more thing... I put a hole in the side of the 'giant' flat so it could only fill up with 1/4 inch water at any given time. I kept about 1/8-1/4 of water in the tray at all times, otherwise not all the plants had access to water. My 'giant' flat had grooves in it like a 10/20 tray so the water was not over the grooves, just filled the grooves.

keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here