Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why do cotyledons get stuck in the seed pod?

Posted by michelelc 6B, MA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 14:14

It seems like more of my pepper seedling cotyledons got stuck in the seed pod this year than last. Did I put the seeds in the soil too deep? Not deep enough? Is the quality of the seeds poor? I'm not sure if I did something wrong this year. I didn't try to take it off myself, as it's my understanding this is bad to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why do cotyledons get stuck in the seed pod?

You did nothing wrong & the seed are not of poor quality.
Its a charistic of some seed & plain old physics just go ahead & remove seed coat or just let the cotyledons expand & the seed coat will fall off .....

o

Not deep enough can contribute to it but isn't the cause. Too dry soil can also contribute. Mostly, it just happens.

In most cases they will fall off on their own. Trying to pull it off usually damages the cotyledons. Some spritz them with water to soften them up. But what works best is saliva - spit - on your fingers and dab it one. The enzymes in saliva dissolve it.

Dave

o

Thanks!

o

For me it occasionally happens because the dry ambient air causes some of the tomato and pepper seed shells to dry and harden before they have a chance to fall off. They annoy me so I remove them. Don't pull or tug them. Carefully using a small needle-nose pliers to gently squeeze the shell on the ends causes them to expand like a clam shell and pop off. Easy to do although not absolutely necessary, but I like to give the babies their best chance at success.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here