Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mobyclick

peppers and marigolds in same flat

mobyclick
14 years ago

ok, so now what? hehe! the marigolds sprouted super quick and of course the peppers are taking more time.

I want to just cut the flat apart and rig a plastic cover for the peppers side ONLY to avoid the marigolds getting fungus-y.

Any other ideas?

Comments (5)

• noinwi
    14 years ago

I think that would work. Do you have any bottom heat for the flat? Peppers germinate best at about 80-85 degrees. And, of course, they could still take their sweet time.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

No cell packs in the tray? Just some sort of tray with soil in it?

You can just remove the marigold cell packs if using cell packs. Or you can transplant the marigolds into containers of their own. Or you can stick the pepper part into a ziplock or some sort of plastic bag or cover it with Saran wrap. Hard to say without knowing exactly what sort of set-up you are working with.

Valuable lesson learned - never seed more than one thing in the same tray. ;)

Dave

• noinwi
    14 years ago

Ok, saw your other post. Yeah, the heat should be consistent. How big of flat is it? Should you cut it in half, you could find another spot for it, maybe on the fridge? Or the water heater? Or above your computer processor? That's where I put my seed starting baggies. Also, if you have an older monitor(the boxy type),it is the perfect temp for pepper starting. Just put something on the very back to level your flat. It should keep the soil in the mid-80's. HTH

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

I would like to add a little modification to Dave's statement: "never seed more than one thing in the same tray."

While this is good advice, it is a bit overgeneralized. As Dave and others will note, even if you are starting all the same things, there can be variance of days up to a week for some seeds of the same type to all germinate. So while the rule of thumb is good, even planting all the same exact seeds can produce seeds at different times.

I would change it to never plant seeds with drastically different germination habits together.

If you start plants that all start in about the same amount of time at the same temperature together, that should produce seedlings with approximately the same germination time as each other.

On the other hand, marigolds and peppers would be a poor choice of plants to have together. Peppers are notoriously slow to germinate, sometimes even in the best of circumstances. Marigolds, however, germinate very easily and very quickly.

A combination of cole crops with lettuce works out pretty well as an example of different seed types that can work well together.

When the first seedlings come up, move the flat to a cooler, brighter location, and partially remove the cover. The others will still come along, but you will avoid "leggyness". As an aside, windowsills, generally, aren't the ideal spot either!

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Transplant the marigolds even if they only have seed leaves. Marigold are tough and take transplanting easily. Marigolds have a big root system so make sure your containers are big enough. When you set them out separate the roots for the best blooms.

I think you may have started them too early. Marigolds only take about 6 weeks from planting to first blooms.Pinch off the first flower and they will branch out.

Peppers take quite some time to come up and do require a warm soil like stated by others.

Check your heating requirements and germination times if you are planting things together or better still give each thing it's own container.