Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed Starting Methodology

Posted by garf 10B (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 14:30

There are a lot of ways to start seeds. Some use multi cell packs and one or two seeds per cell. Some use small paper cups and one to 3 seeds per cup. Many use a bulk starting method with a larger pot and transplant sprouts. I will use a 4 X 4 pot and place 9 seeds evenly spaced and transplant sprouts. I take a split fruit and squeeze the contents into a 6" pot and cover with soil. It takes longer to sprout, but it gets the healthiest sprouts. I don't even consider using wet paper towels in ziplocs. There must be other methods.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed Starting Methodology

• Posted by garf 10B (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 15:15

Here is the bulk method.

o

Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 15:16

Lets try that again.

o

Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 15:17

Here hopefully is the cell method.

o

Or you can take the cell packs and in 1 six pack start 10 plants in each cell for a total of 60 plants of the same variety. Or you can do 10 plants each of 6 different varieties but then you have to contend with different germination times so at least stick with one type plant.

Or take a 4" pot and start 30 or more plants of the same variety in each pot.

Standard greenhouse germination when growing large numbers of unusual varieties for sale is to use the 2" sq. 4 cell packs and to germinate 25-30 of each variety in each cell.

Then there are the Plug trays that let you germinate up to 500+ plants at one time. But that's more than the average home gardener needs. :)

Dave

o

I am a first timer and I respect that different methods work for different people. I tried half of my daylily seeds in cells (1 per) and the other half in solo cups 20 oz. The solo sup seedlings are twice the size as the cell packs. germination rate was pretty much the same however.

Good discussion!

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here