Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seed leaves fell off!

Posted by debbiekim 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 14:43

hi everyone,

i need your help! a few of the seeds sprouted without their seed leaves. so basically it's just the stem. are those plants still going to be able to grow true leaves? or should i just start over?

some seem to be stuck in the seed and for the other ones, the seed leaves just fell off. help!!

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seed leaves fell off!

What kinds of seeds are they? What are they planted in? Are they under lights? Are they covered with a dome/plastic wrap/baggie/other? Need way more details! :)

o

Often a plant comes up with the seed casing still attached, and will grow and eventually pop it off. I've seen tomatos come up with the seed case attached to the 2 seed leaves. With some plants, sometimes it is just a stem with a ball on top. That ball turns into leaves.

However it it looks like the stem is broken then you have a problem with the soil. It is too hard to allow the seed leaves to pop up out of the soil and it breaks the stem.

o

Agree with oilpainter that there is likely a problem with your soil apparently. Either it is too coarse, too hard, or too surface dry. One or the other is snapping the stems and not letting the seed coat soften enough to pop open. What potting mix are you using? Another possible cause is not planting the seeds deep enough.

Are these old seeds. That will sometimes happen with dessicated (dry) seeds and in that case pre-soaking can help.

The ones that are just stems won't survive.

Dave

o

Be sure your plants are not being eaten by slugs, who are really good at removing seed leaves, without leaving a trace. Al

o

thanks, everyone!

they were joe pye weed seeds in seed starting mix. some of them have sprouted and are looking good. i think the surface may have been too dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here