Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed starting mix gone bad??

Posted by woost2 5 - Madison, WI (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 16, 10 at 14:53

I bought a giant bag of seed starting mix (Jiffy, I think) last year. About half a bag has been hanging around in the shed for almost a year. It has a slight moldy odor. Should I recycle it? Bake it in the oven (and if so, how)? I hate to waste it but would hate losing my starts even more.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed starting mix gone bad??

Baking it won't help and will only stink up the oven and the house. Add it to the garden or mix it in some big containers to use later but I wouldn't use it for starting seeds. That is when plants are most vulnerable so for best results, get some fresh mix or moldy seedlings will likely follow.

Mix should be stored from season to season, well sealed in a totally dry, cool environment.

Dave

o

OK ... bummer. That stuff is expensive!

o

You can still use it for containers...I just wouldn't trust it with seeds/seedlings.

o

Yeah you don't have to throw it away! Just don't use it for germinating seedlings.

Dave

o

If you are going to keep seeding mix in a shed or even in a basement you have to keep it dry. Get yourself a garbage can with a tight fitting lid and use it exclusively for potting mix. Mine has soil in big red letters so it won't get used for anything else by mistake. I buy a 3.8 cu foot bag of it every spring when I open my greenhouse and it does me all summer and I still have some left in the spring. It never gets musty as long as I keep it well sealed.

I keep that one in our garden shed. I have a 5 gallon pail with a tight lid that I fill from the big one for the greenhouse and I bring it into the basement when I close the greenhouse. I use this for fall planting and fill again for the spring. It never gets musty either. Pro mix will last a long time as long as you keep the moisture away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here