Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rudbeckia Seeds - heat mat or not?

Posted by ginnyginny Zone 9 Calif (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 15:02

I'm trying Rudbeckia seeds for the first time. I know they are supposed to be easy, but growing from seed is not particularly easy for me.

I did put them in the refrigerator for two weeks as I read could help with germination.

Now they recommend placing them in a 70 degree room. I don't keep my furnace at 70, in fact when I'm here it's at 67, when I'm gone I turn the furnace off. At night I turn it off and the temp gets to 58+.

Would you recommend putting them on a heat mat where they could stay warmer 24 hours a day?

I forget if I'm supposed to keep them covered with saran wrap until they germinate?

Thanks
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rudbeckia Seeds - heat mat or not?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 20:31

Ginny, you might get faster germination with a heat mat if you have one already - I wouldn't buy one specifically for the rudbekia seeds.

They will still germinate at cooler, it just may take a little longer. At 70F, barely covered or surface sown, they can take 5-21 days. Covering the pot or flat with plastic wrap can help keep the humidity/moisture in and save you some of the attention that would need, just remove it at first sign of germination.

o

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just be patient and skip the heat mat for now. I think once they germinate I should put them under lights.

Ginny

o

My Rudbeckia seeds just came up in less than a week with no prechilling. The pot sits on a 70 degree mat covered with wrap which I just removed. They are in an unheated greenhouse with about 8 hours of added light, because my greenhouse is partially shaded. Without enough light they will be very spindly with a weak stem. When they get about an inch high I will take them off the mat. I would do it sooner if the weather would warm up a bit. Your fluctuating house temperatures will be no problem for them. Al

o

Hi Al,

Thanks for your input. I'd better get my light table cleared off; it's in the garage. I hope this goes well as I haven't had much practice with seeds under lights.

The Rudbeckia I'm growing is the one with the green center. I only see them in gallon containers in the nursery. I hope to take one or two to my garden club's plant sale.

Ginny

Ginny

o

Hi Ginny, you won't need the light until germination has taken place. It will not hurt to have the extra light now, but not having it, will not prevent normal germination. I started a lot of seeds too early,lured by a couple of weeks of unseasonably warm weather,I am finding which seedlings will tolerate the cold best or worse. I have learned to always plant only a sample of any seed, so my losses are minimal. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here