Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to start peppers and eggplant seeds?

Posted by michelelc 6A MA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 15:04

Last year I started peppers and eggplants from seed at the end of March inside and planted them on June 15. I think June 15 was too late because I didn't get very many peppers, and the ones I got didn't come until early to mid-September. Eggplants started at the end of August, and I did get a decent crop, but late. I am thinking of starting the seedlings earlier, so the plants are larger when I plant them. Also, I will be planting them the last week of May this year. My question is, is there any harm in growing the plants inside for a longer period of time? I have a setup with 4 shop lights.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to start peppers and eggplant seeds?

Hi!
This is what I do for zone 5. My last frost free date is Mother's day (do a google search for your area's last frost free date). While you can plant outside before your frost free date and cover the plants and protect them from frost, peppers and eggplants do not like cold soil so I wait until my frost free date for more than warmer air temp.....I am seeking warmer soil temps......

Okay.. back to your plants.....

I would start sweet peppers 8 weeks before your frost free date and hot peppers and eggplants 10 weeks before your frost free date.

There is harm in starting them too soon because they may get root bound and have a hard time recovering the transplant to their final places outside, as well as just running out of room and enough light to keep them happy inside. I would guess plus or minus two weeks on the dates above would still be okay.

I hope that helps!

Cheers

Keriann~

o

I started my peppers two weeks ago, and they have not germinated yet. They can be slow, so I always start them early.

o

Thanks! I will be starting asap.

o

Last year I started my peppers and Japanese eggplants 2nd week of February and I had a great crop of peppers. I am north of Lake Erie, zone 6.

o

I started my peppers and eggplant last week. The eggplants came up within 4 days on the heat mat, the Jalapenos just popped up this morning but the rest of the hot peppers didn't come up, yet. Unfortunately, I just ordered seeds for the sweet peppers, so they will be started late.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here