Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado seed

Posted by sezra Bournemouth (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 15:12

Hi all, I'm new here.

I have been growing an avocado seed for a few months now, and was just wondering when I should re-pot it. I grew it using the cocktail stick method and suspending it in a vase of water.

Its about a foot tall, and has about 6-8 leaves, but only has one large root. Should I re-pot it now, or wait for it to root some more? Also, what sort of compost should I use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado seed

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 18:35

Here is a link to the step-by-step how-to do this and it should answer all your questions. if not let us know

Dave

PS: be sure to note the part about pinching back to force root development.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow an avacado from seed FAQ

o

what does it mean by pinch out the top set of leaves? Should I just remove them as close to stalk as i can?

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 22:52

Ok, first if it is a foot tall and only has 6-8 leaves then it probably isn't getting enough sun exposure and light. When that is the case the plant is more stem than leaves.

"Pinching" means you snip off the central stem and a set of leaves. Most do it with their fingernails or a sharp set of scissors. It is done to make the plant bush out more and develop side branches and is a common need for many different plants.

Since your plant is already past the ideal pinch point I would count down from the top and cut the stem just below the 2nd set of leaves from the top. So that the plant is no more that 6-8" tall. Otherwise the central stem won't be able to support the new growth that will develop.

The link below is to lots of pictures showing how to do it.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: how to pinch plants pics

o

thanks for the info, and you're probably right about it not getting enough sun, we have had a miserable winter here in the uk, although it sits on the window sill which is facing south so that should change when the weather turns.

so where should i cut it back to? I've included a picture. sorry for all the questions haha,

o

Oh wow! Way past the pinching stage. I'd cut the stem just below the joint of that top leaf on the right. In between the 2 leaves on the top right of the picture.

Dave

o

so im literally only taking off the top 3 leaves? and by doing that, i will encourage new root growth?

Its taken so long for it to grow, i just dont want to damage it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here