Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mccommas

Will Chamomile from the supermarket produce good looking flowers?

mccommas
12 years ago

The brand name is Badia. Under "Chamomile " is the word "Manzanilla.

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

The only chamomile I have ever seen in the store around here was chamomile tea and no you can't grow plants from it. What exactly did you buy?

Dave

• noinwi
    12 years ago

I've had chamomile tea sprout in starting mix. The flowers are used for tea so there will be seeds in it.
    I usually make weak tea to water my seedlings and one year I thought,"why not mix the dry tea in with my mix?". Well, I keep my starting mix in a large tupperware bowl with the opaque lid and add warm water to dampen it before using. I put the lid on to store it and the next time I opened the lid I had sprouts everywhere. Then over time I had chamomile sprouting in all the cells that I'd seeded with other stuff. It wasn't a problem, but a "duh" moment. They were all easily plucked out of the cells.
    So, unless your chamomile tea was heat treated to kill the seed(which might negate some of the health benefits), you should be able to grow it(JMO).

• mccommas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

I did not get tea but a little baggie from the supermarket. The brand name is BADIA. It says Chamomile then in smaller words under that it says Manzanilla. That may be the Spanish word for it since we have a lot of Spanish speaking folks around here.

Only one way to find out who is right! I will direct sead when things get a little warmer...

They also come in much larger hard plastic bins. I think I will buy one of them. I just think the flower looks cute.

• noinwi
    12 years ago

Manzanilla means "little apple" referring to the apple-like scent of chamomile flowers.
    If you bought bulk flowers, you bought bulk tea as it's the flowers that are used for tea. It's an especially nice bedtime drink.
    The plant reseeds well, so if you plant them you could let them 'go to seed', or you could harvest the flowers for growing the following year(and for tea).
    I also think they are pretty. I like the foliage too.

• mccommas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The flower on the package almost looks like Fever Few except that turned out to be toxic!

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

mccommas - feverfew needs to be taken in large quantities to have adverse effects. It is not in the foxglove league.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feverfew discussion