Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia Sinensis Germination

Posted by Duncan_Forster none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 15:49

I have planted about 40-45 tea seeds in a tray planter indoors with a humidity dome and a germination mat. They were all properly prepared. My question is: How often should I water them? At the moment a fair amount of condensation has built up on the inside of the dome, I'm assuming this is normal? Also, how much light do they need? I unfortunately do not have a grow light, would a simple halogen lamp suffice? I'm growing these in my dorm room and the lights are fluorescent, will this be a problem at all?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia Sinensis Germination

Hi Duncan_Forster and welcome to GardenWeb!

Well, I’ve never grown tea plants before but a quick check on the web indicates that the seeds should be planted one inch deep. That means they don’t need any light, until they germinate (which should take between one and two months). So for now, don’t worry about lighting.

As for watering, there should be very light condensation on the inside of the dome. If the condensation runs down the side of the dome, you’ll know you’re keeping things too wet. Since the seeds take so long to germinate, you’ll have to be very careful about not over-watering. It would probably be helpful to remove the dome altogether for awhile, when you're home and can watch that the germinating medium doesn’t dry out too much.

For warmth, I understand that the medium should be kept between 70 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hope this is helpful and I wish you the best with the tea plants!

Art

o
RE: Camellia Sinensis Germination

Ah, thanks so much, that answers my question! It seems I may have watered them a little much so I'll remove the dome and let the soil dry out a bit before replacing it. Thanks for the help, all of the internet sources I looked at were rather unclear about watering.

All the best,
Duncan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here