Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adenium obesum failure?

Posted by blutarski (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 15:56

I planted five a. obesum seeds in one of those plastic 'greenhouse' starters with the pelletized peat disks. It was situated in a room where the ambient temp was between 72-80 at all times. The greenhouse was set away from direct sun light.

Only one showed any activity. There was a green shoot that was curled up within the seed casing. Then, things seemed to stop.

Two days after I noticed the shoot, I put it in a sunny location and took the lid off. Still, no further activity.

On top of all that, I accidentally knocked the little guy off it's peat bed. I put it back but, I'm fearing the worst.

What did I do wrong? What should i do differently in the future (I'm determined to grow a desert rose from seed.)

Why is it my 7 yr old and put some radish seeds on a wet paper towel, cram it in a ziplock and leave it under her bed for a few weeks and they survive, but I have no success doing it my way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adenium obesum failure?

I don't care for those peat pellets but other then that it sounds like you have good conditions for starting them. They usually sprout within about 10 days when fresh. I soak the seeds for several hours in warm water before planting then barely cover them with soil. I keep the soil moist until they sprout. Once they are up and the seed coat has dropped I let the soil dry a little between waterings. I have better luck without bottom heat as lomg as the room is comfortably warm. You might want to try just starting them in a good potting mix instead of the pellets.

o

Thanks for the advice!
Do you think the sprout is dead?

o

blutarski I sent you an email through GW.

o

I've been trying my luck at growing Adenium from seed as well, but having trouble at a different stage of thier growth. I get about 90% success of the seeds germinating and sprouting to the point were they've got three to four leaves. After that they don't seem to grow anymore, and start to fall over at the soil line and then slowly wither away. Below the soil the root/base of the caudex seems to shrivel up as if it isn't getting enough water, but I've been keeping it watered about 2-3 times a week. I live in Central Florida, so we've got the heat they like and I grow mine outdoors.

My theory is that I'm over watering after they sprout the first leaves, and may be causing root rot.

What do yall think?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here