Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
papaya seeds

Posted by dorthey4 6b sw BC (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 15:59

Well it's been a long time since I posted anything here, lost interest for awhile but now I'm back. I have Petunias, snapdragons, Lavatera, and Evening sented stock all started under lights and doing well so far. Anyway just for fun I dried some papaya seeds and put them in a dish with damp paper towel to see if they would sprout but nothing yet. Does anyone know how to grow them? I know I'm not in the right climate but would be something different to try.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: papaya seeds

I throw seeds in my compost piles. By mid summer I always get seedlings coming up by themselves.
They can't be that difficult to grow.
They truly are pretty, aren't they?

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 23:26

Not a germination database of credit, but Fine Gardening mag -

"wash the seeds well and remove the slippery outer coating; then sow immediately. Cover with soil and keep in a warm, bright place. Germination should occur in four to eight weeks. You can also start seeds in vermiculite; keep a plastic bag over the pot to maintain high humidity. Papayas are prone to damping-off. "

o

Thanks, I'll have to buy another one and try that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here