Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunlight vs florescent

Posted by grow-anything (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 17, 10 at 16:39

I now have all my seedlings inside a heated greenhouse. They are getting natural sunlight from 7:15am till 6:15pm. I am not using any artificial lighting at this time. If you could use natural sunlight for eleven hours or florescent lighting for whatever time you wanted then which would you choose? It is too much trouble to mount lights now that would not block the sunlight and be difficult move for the different growing rates of my seedlings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunlight vs florescent

Ther e is no comparison.... sunlight is FAR beetter

o

I agree. No fluorescent light/light system will ever be able to match the power & advantages of the Sun. =) Hence, why I start my seedlings in a sunny windowsil or two instead of under a light setup.

- Steve

o

Sunlight hands down, I think the UV in the sunlight stops a lot of the damping off problems of artificial lighting. I could be wrong but it seems that way to me and I do both. The days are starting to stretch out fast now yee haaw.

Curt :-))

o

Seedlings prefer sunlight, just as they perfer warm temps than what we have in WI right now.

Your plants will s-t-r-e-t-c-h to get the sunlight so they will be quite leggy in a few weeks. Also there is about 17 hours of sun in the summer and right now only 10 or so... so I prefer flourescent lights because I can contol their not-so-natural environment and keep them from getting leggy.

Keriann~

o

If one didn't have a greenhouse then I'd prefer fluorescent lights since the total environment can be better controlled while still providing sufficient light.

This time of year there just isn't enough hours of sun, the right spectrum, or the right intensity of light (not to mention how windows reduce it further) for seedlings unless one lives in the southern hemisphere. Leggy plants is the result.

The ideal set-up for this time of year is a greenhouse with supplemental lighting systems. Failing that, we all just do the best we can with what we have to work with. ;)

Dave

o

Thanks for the input. Actually right not the plants seam more short and stocky than normal. I think the cold weather is causing some of that. I placed all the seedlings inside the GH as soon as they sprouted and have kept the temp between 42-65. They are getting sunlight for the entire time the sun is up which is eleven hours right now. No windows involved they are outside with full sun. The only tray that seems leggy is the African Daises, but all the rest are fine, so far. Even if the tomatoes get somewhat leggy I plan to repot all those and can bury them deeper anyway.

o

Lucky you - I'm getting sunlight, from very weak to decent from about 8 am until 5 pm on the few days the sun shines. (The GH gets shaded by the house after 5 or so.) The lower temps will help keep the plants from stretching, especially if you don't give them a lot of moisture or use ferts high in Nitrogen.

I plan on moving my seedlings to the GH in late March - by then I should be getting a lot more light.

Mike

o

I have my small portable GH setting on my pool deck right now. I built it just for my seedlings and so I could move it to face the full sun as needed. I do have a fixed GH too. Here are my seedlings today.
Photobucket

o

I have seedlings located in the gh and in my basement. I depend on mother nature to provide the light for the gh.
A warm sunny day the seedlings they will jump in stature. Inside the the house those seedlings are getting constant light and 70 degrees

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening by the Seat of my Pants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here