Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

help with this please

I'd really like to order this, unfortunately it doesn't come with the peat pellets (the little things that are essentially the 'soil' you use when starting seedling transplants indoors)

Unfortunately it doesn't come with the peat pellets. Somebody said that finding peat pellets to fit the flat are very difficult to acquire.

For something like this, what size pellets would you need?

It doesn't specify with the product, and I can't find a way to contact amazon about this. I looked for their phone number for customer service, and can't find it on their site.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-CK64050-Germination-Station-Heat/dp/B000HHO1RO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1298151650&sr=8-11

Comments (3)

• noinwi
    13 years ago

It looks like they are using a seed starting mix, not pellets(pellets are just compressed starting mix that swell up when you soak them in water prior to planting your seed). If you were to use pellets, which are usually easy to find(Walmart, garden centers, even dollar stores), you wouldn't need the 'cells', just a tray with a dome. The pellets can be set next to one another in a tray/flat due to the netting around them which needs to be removed when you transplant in spite of what the instructions say, as the netting can inhibit root growth. HTH

• kawaiineko_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Um well can you show me a picture of what you're describing because I'm a little confused. I don't understand what you mean just by you telling me. I'd need to see it to understand. Are you talking about just the tray itself?

I mean with the picture does it already come divided into segments on the flat? Or is it the flat and then the thing divided into segments.

I've also heard if you leave the lid on, the plants will be more susceptible to mold and damping off cause of the constant moisture and heat?

Would it hurt the seedlings if I were to grow it with the cover off?

• noinwi
    13 years ago

A mini greenhouse usually consists of a tray, cell packs, and a cover/dome. The tray does not have drainage holes, but may have grooves to keep excess moisture away from the cells. The cell pack, which sits inside of the tray can be separated into sections of 4 or 6 cells, the kind you would see at a garden center in the spring containing flowers or veggie seedlings. The cover keeps moisture in and is only used until the seeds germinate, then you take it off or your seedlings will mold or cook. Different companies will have different designs, but they all do basically the same thing. The one you linked to has a heater which can speed germination.
    Seed starting mix, such as Jiffy Mix is a loose, light peat-based mix that you would fill the cells with to plant your seeds in.
    Peat pellets are compressed plugs of seed starting mix, encased in netting, so they will stand alone once they are moistened. You don't need to use cell packs with them, but some mini greenhouse "kits" include them and have special cells that they will fit in. You can place pellets in any type of container or tray that has drain holes, then place that container on a tray to collect excess water.
    I've included a link to a site that shows how to use them.
    I hope I'm not confusing you more.

Here is a link that might be useful: peat pellets