Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Germinbation heat source

Posted by durable_now 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 16:47

I have heard suggestions that you could use a waterbed heater for seed germination so I checked around and a friend of mine that owns a waterbed says
the instructions states that you should not turn on the heater untill the matress is full of water so this suggests to me that there should be a mass on the heater to absorb the heat & I don't think that a bunch of small container would provide that mass.The heat range is from 60 to 99 & that makes me believe that a 80 degree setting woud cause any harm even if nothing was on top of the mat except that the mat may have to have something on top of it to pull the heat away from the mat .If anyone has used one of these PLEASE let me know your results.I need cold hard facts 'cause I don't want to hook this thing up & 2 hours later go back & see smoke & flames shooting up to the ceiling from over heating.I have been using small heating pads for years & no problems BUT???.Any bonafied info will be GREATLY appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Germinbation heat source

I have no idea about waterbed heaters. I am trying using a work light about 18" above my starter pots...1/2 the seeds germinated the other 1/2 haven't... yet...

o

I sure wouldn't use it. You have no way of controling the heat you get. My heat mat feels barely warm when I put my hand on top of it. Too much heat and you'll kill the seeds not to mention start a fire. Before I got my heat mat I didn't use anything and I still don't for many seeds. Only those that require bottom heat for better germination. Even without the mat I had pretty good germination with those seeds.

If you really want a heat source try a regular light bulb. Rig some kind of open structure like a frame made with scrap lumber with a cookie sheet on top and put the light bulb under it. The heat from the bulb will transfer to the cookie sheet. You only want to keep the bottom of your pots warm not hot

o

If you have read through the previous discussions here about using water bed heaters then you know that it is the attached thermometer probe, the enclosure around the seed starting space, and the elevated spacing created between the pad heater and the bottom of the trays/pots that lets it work.

Not that I am advocating using one, there are many alternatives. But it can work and work safely with an enclosure, a 1-2" elevated platform over the pad, and a container of wet soil sitting on the platform with the thermometer buried in it to trigger the mat off and on. You are heating the air in the enclosure so only indirectly heating the flats of seeds.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here