Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for seeds

Posted by photopilot 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 16:54

I have been buying my seeds from Home Depot but am disappointed at my choices. I am looking for an online source. Will the seeds from a good source be any better than what i can get at Home Depot? Is there someone that has variety packs of seeds in smaller quantities? It seems a shame to buy a huge pack of seeds each year to grow 4 plants of each variety and then throw them away.

Mostly looking at
Lettuces
Spinach
Arugula
Peppers (lots of varieties wanted)
Tomatoes
Herbs
Chard
Kale

Whats a good source for a good variety of seeds, preferably in small seed packets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for seeds

The GW Bazaar here list many different online seed sources and lots of discussions about where to buy seeds that list many of the favorite vendors. The search here will pull up those discussions for you.

Suggest you look into Johnny's Seeds, Victory, Baker Creek (heirloom varieties), Gurney's, Harris Seeds, Tomato Growers.com, Vermont Bean & Seed, Seed Savers. etc. just to name a few.

But more importantly, why on earth are you throwing the extras away? Seed are good for many years and many of us regularly grow from seeds that are 5-10 years old.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Bazaar Directory for Seeds

o

Thanks Dave,
Not that we really throw away our seeds but usually buy some each year. I think when getting into gardening a few years ago I was told to buy new seeds each year. We moved and not sure what or where we got but I will search our cupboard before ordering anything again.

o

• Posted by zenman Ottawa KS 5b (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 10:07

photopilot,

There are online sources that sell in small quantities, like The Sample Seed Shop, but I haven't had any experience with them.

In addition to the sources that Dave listed (I always look at what Johnny's Seeds and Harris seeds have to offer) I get seeds from Burpees, Stokes, and Parks. I also purchase from Hazzards, but they sell in larger packets and you are looking for smaller packets. Hazzards does have a very wide selection, though. Burpee's seeds are somewhat higher priced, but Burpee has some exclusives that, to me, "are worth it", with seedless tomatoes being a prime example. I buy from The Burpee Seed Company every year, and have done so for many years.

Some seeds naturally last a long time and others don't stay viable for very long. Here is a Table of Seed Longevity to serve as a guide for when you need to buy fresh seed.

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

o

Artistic Gardens sells sample pkgs for .40 each.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artistic Gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here