Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texas_is_home

Blueberries?

texas_is_home
14 years ago

I was wondering if you can grow blueberries from a seed. I got some from the berries and i was wondering if i can harvest more and grow them in potting soil.

Comments (12)

• yiorges-z5il
    14 years ago

yes you can grow bluberries from seed BUT>>> they may take a LONG time to flower, They may not taist like the parent, Production WILL BE low because to get best crop you need two varities need to cross polinate. money & time best spent getting cuttings & root or purchase plants.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Agree. It is possible but not really worth the time or effort. Most blueberry bushes are grown from cuttings, not seeds. And since many varieties are hybrids, the seeds most likely won't reproduce true or will be sterile.

Dave

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

It will take for ever! When you buy potted blueberry bushes they can sometimes take a few years to produce fruit, and those are fair size. I agree with the PPs, possible, but not really worth it, unless you are very patient!

• texas_is_home
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hmm...the ultimate test of patience..................I THINK ILL DO IT! not for the fruit (i'll buy a plant for fruiting) but for the testing of the patience!

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

Good luck. Be patient. You're going to need a LOT of patience altho' where you are maybe things grow faster than they do up here in the frozen north. My father planted blueberry bushes here when I was 12. I haven't been 12 in several decades. The bushes are taller than I am and produce lots and lots of blueberries every year with minimal care aside from being "fed" twice in the spring. They're definitely well worth the wait but you'll wait a very, very long time before harvesting berries from bushes grown from seed. Commercially grown bushes will bear fruit in the first or second season but don't expect to cook more than one blueberry pancake with what you get. The new BB bushes I planted between the mature ones my father planted have produced more berries than I would have expected--I'm guessing because the neighbor's honeybees have pollinated more of the flowers.

• texas_is_home
    Original Author
    14 years ago

where could one find a blueberry bush BTW?

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

I bought mine at a reputable local nursery. The bushes came with a year's guarantee. One of the six I bought died the following spring. I was able to return it for a store credit which I used to buy a new-to-me perennial.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

~where could one find a blueberry bush BTW?~

Easy - any place that sells fruit trees and bushes.

A nursery would be the most likely. Here even Wal-Mart and the big box stores like HD and Lowes sell the small plants in the spring. You can also order them online or from catalogs from many of the seed companies. Just Google 'buy blueberry bush'.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberry Plants

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

Texas, there are only a few places in your state where you can plant and grow blueberries which require a low soil ph. Containerized, or raised beds are options where you can best maintain an acidic soil, but only if your water is not alkaline. Can you grow rhododendrons where you are - growing conditions are similar.

If you are going to try sowing some, you don't want to sow 'in potting soil' but on (surface sow) finely ground moist-not-soggy sphagnum moss, somewhat following directions for rhododendrons and azaleas. 60 to 70F, germination should take place in approx a month.

• texas_is_home
    Original Author
    14 years ago

morz8-that alkaline water wouldnt happen to be hard water would it?

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

Hard water has more mineral content, so it can tend to be on the alkaline side.

• Belgianpup
    14 years ago

Texas tends to have alkaline soil and alkaline water. Collecting rainwater would a good source for acid-loving plants (rainwater is slightly acidic, you won't have to treat it).

Below is some info on growing them in Texas.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing blueberries in Texas