Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Underground PVC irrigation ~ any thoughts?

Posted by katkeeper36 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 17:23

My rasied bed is currently beneath about 2 feet of snow, so there is no rush on this...here's my situation.

I got a 16x6 foot bed - 4 solid rows of veg. Every year I have been twining a soaker hose amoungst the base of the plants and its been working great. But leaving the main hose across the lawn has left burn marks, plus I trip over it too.
So my idea was to bury some 1 inch PVC pipes...ends capped, and drilled out ....all connected with one port coming out of the middle of the bed. ( Unearthed would look like a large letter "H" ). Plan would be to bring the hose ove and place into feeder PVC tube....I could leave it on and thoroughly root feed everbody and be done with soaker hoses.

My question is am I asking for problems doing this? Some reason why I shouldn't go foward? Any ideas? Thoughts?
Thanks and have a great day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Underground PVC irrigation ~ any thoughts?

More of a general gardening problem/question than a Growing from Seed forum question so I'd suggest posting on maybe the Vegetable gardening forum for more input.

The things that come to mind is the holes getting plugged with dirt/mud/small gravel or sand depending on what is in your soil You'd have no way to know it until plants in an area started wilting. Then you have to dig up the whole garden to fix it.

Plus it would limit your planting depth and layout and would be easy to damage with planting tools.

You can accomplish, and many do, the same thing by just burying the soaker hose itself. That way if one place gets plugged there is still ample way for the water to get out. But even then you have the basic problem to overcome of gravity - water difusses down - below the roots.

You can switch to a drip irrigation system on top of the soil and accomplish your goals without all the problems.

Dave

o
RE: Underground PVC irrigation ~ any thoughts?

I would go with something like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Running water to raised beds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here