Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cabbage seeds

Posted by roseosharon (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 20, 11 at 17:47

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best type of potting soil mix to use in my cold greenhouse to start cabbage seeds? Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cabbage seeds

I use SuperSoil Potting Soil to start all my seeds, as the soilless seed mixes in my home improvement stores are grossly overpriced.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

o

I use Canadian peat moss mixed with an equal part fine hardwood mulch. I then start mixing in perlite until it looks about the same as what the plants at the box stores grow in. I use that to start all my seeds. I've got quite a few seedlings today that I didn't have yesterday. The warm weather here on my piney wood hill has really got my seeds sprouting fast.

When it's time to move the seedlings into 4" pots, I use the same mix with compost added. I usually also throw in a handful of blood and bone meal.

Being near a lake, and being a fisherman of sorts, I have some fish carcasses rotting away in five gallon buckets of rain water. It's rank but it sure grows some great plants.

Oh, but you just wanted to know what to start your cabbage seeds in.....just about anything that will hold moisture will work to start seeds.

o

i throw them in soil in oct and in few weeks replant the seedlings to my flower beds. I harvested 15 cabages which were started from seed last oct.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 13, 11 at 13:52

I don't know what part of the country you are in, ProMix and Fafard are both well liked for sowing those seeds by many who don't want to use a regular seed sowing medium.

Neither are available to me here (No Ace Hardware here either, if they don't stock I think they will order ProMix and let you pick it up for no shipping.), I use the Cornell Peat Light 'recipe' but mixed, bagged for us by a local nursery - I don't have to buy the ingredients in bulk and mix myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here