Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
direct seeding and squirrels

Posted by jitsmith none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 17:59

I'll be planting 4'x16' and 6'x7' perennial beds this spring. I'd like to direct sow some seeds for 1st year color and some $ savings - but every time I work dirt, the local squirrels act like cats with catnip. Found this out when I tried to do some grass seed patches last year.

Does anyone know of any way to keep them from trashing my work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: direct seeding and squirrels

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 18:47

Extra heavy seeding is often recommended - in the hopes they won't get them all. But a simple low tent of chicken wire over the area until after germination works best IME. Looks like &%$(^ but it works. If they can't get to soil they can't eat the seeds.

See pics linked below for ideas.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Using chicken wire to protect seeds and seedlings

o

Thx for the guide Dave. Don't think a full metal jacket will work for me, but I'll keep poking round looking for inspiration.

o

you can selectively cover some areas with plastic perforated trays turned upsidedown. you can secure them with stakes. people do that to protect their bulbs. just watch that plants don't grow right thru them.
smth like in the pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: plastic perforated tray

o

Good idea - I've also thought about using some strong metal fencing laid directly on the soil and staked down.

o

In my little yard, the squirrels tear up any freshly turned soil. There doesn't have to be anything there for them, they just seem compelled. I have to protect newly seeded spots with some barrier. Onion bags work for a small spot. In flower pots I use gravel or river stone on the surface.

o

Petrushka - I think your idea may work best, should help discourage birds as well. I'll give it a try - and hang on to the trays to cover my bulbs when I plant this Fall/Spring. Thanks.

davek - same here. I was afraid of turning into my grandfather, sitting on my deck with a BB gun, potting squirrels.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here