Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

herbs

Basically which are ones that can be transplanted well and it's feasible to grow them indoors?

I was thinking of basic ones such as sage, oregano, thyme, basil, parsley, mint, and dill. Possibly lavender and rosemary too but I don't know about those. By 'basic' I mean basic herbs used in cooking.

How old do they have to be before they're ready to be transplanted? (4 weeks, 8 weeks, etc.)

Comments (11)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Do you plan to ever take them outside?? Or are they herbs you are just going to keep inside always??

• gnhelton
    13 years ago

Not kawaiineko_gardener but we're are going to try to start Herbs indoors and transplant outside. Can you advise?

• luvahydrangea
    13 years ago

Most herbs can be transplanted easily, definitely the ones you mention. Lavender can take a while to get big, so I never grow that from seed, but certainly the ones you mentioned can all grow large enough in a season to use in cooking.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I totally hate growing anything indoors then transplanting outdoors, personally. Though if that is what your heart is stuck on doing then I would say pretty much anything that can be grown outside can be started inside. Just be careful with the damp off and make sure to harden them off.

As for me I have started my herbs already outside. No damp off and no hardening off.

Here are just the ones that have germinated so far.

Rosemary and feverfew have germinated but yes other herbs are in this container. In the container that haven't germinated are cilantro, and tarragon.
    {{gwi:222011}}

My wild chicory has germinated in this one.

{{gwi:222012}}

This one is a little green but it will clear up after a few days out of the comforter bag. This is my main part of herbs. What has germinated herb wise is my virginia stock, mammoth dill, mexican tea, soap wort, stevia, lemon balm, lemon mint, rue, big flowered self heal, bronze fennel, Verbena bonariensis, creeping thyme, marojam and prairie smoke. Some of the seedlings are hard to see cause of the green but I am working to take care of that as we speak and no it doesn't hurt the seedlings.

{{gwi:222013}}

These are pictures from this week.

• noinwi
    13 years ago

KG, most herbs need full sun, good drainage, and/or plenty of room. You might be able to grow thyme, greek oregano and a smaller variety of basil indoors if you have a very sunny window or lots of supplemental lighting. Without these they will get spindly and will have weak flavor.
    When you see those little "indoor herb gardens" in advertisements, it's really false advertising, similar to the topsy-turvy tomato growing ads. You just can't grow herbs indoors like that. Most herbs get quite large and different plants need different conditions.

"By 'basic' I mean basic herbs used in cooking."
    Please don't take this wrong, but these are called 'culinary' herbs. It will help to use that term in the future, so you don't get lectured on how many herbs can be considered 'basic'(it's happened to me, LOL).

The FAQs on the Herbs Forum is under construction, but I've linked to some of the threads about trying to grow herbs indoors...yes, it's time consuming to read through the threads, but there's lots of good info that will answer most of your questions. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: growing herbs indoors threads

• dsb22
    13 years ago

Not to hijack the thread either, but Countrycarolyn, do you cover the pots of the seeds that you start outside? Is that what you mean by "comforter bag"?

Thanks!
    Deanna

• gnhelton
    13 years ago

Well basically we have no idea of what we're doing starting indoors. This will be our first foray into starting inside. We just know that we are tired of getting what is available from stores where you get what you get.

All we're trying to start is Basil. Oregano and chives.
    Buying a seed heating matt and cover. Also setting up 2 T5 florescent lights.

We kind of went full bore into it this year. Tomatoes, peppers, squash. Etc. Seemed dumb to us in that we spend so much time in the garden but many times seems like we ended up with inferior products..

Farming is hard(G).

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I have tops on the containers when the temps outside are below freezing and when snow is on the ground.

{{gwi:215656}}

Even when snow is on the ground the containers are ok and there is no damp off or hardening off required for this process.

Here is my container collection during a snow.

{{gwi:222015}}

Here is my collection with no snow but freezing temps outside. And basil oregano and chives can all be done this way.

{{gwi:222017}}

Though I do have ventilation and drainage in all of the containers including the comforter bag.

• dsb22
    13 years ago

Thanks!!

• kawaiineko_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for not specifying this initially in the thread, but these herbs aren't going to be grown indoors as houseplants.

I also just wanted to know if these were good candidates for seedling transplants for the herbs I listed, not if they were good candidates as houseplants being grown indoors.

Also the only other thing I wanted to know is some herbs are very difficult to grow from seed if just direct sown outside; I wanted to know if these 'difficult herbs' can be grown as transplants indoors.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

The main reason seeds are difficult to grow outside from directly being sown is cause birds and other critters will eat the seeds especially herb seeds. Or rain likes to wash them off to some nook and cranny to never be seen again.

Growing outdoors is the way I choose to go, though very few do I direct sow. I only direct sow things that do not like to be transplanted.

All of the herbs you mentioned in your original post I personally do not see a problem with being transplanted.