Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wildcrafted kousa dogwood woes

Posted by dirt_farmer 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 18:29

Hi,
I am trying to grow Kousa dogwood by starting inside.
I managed to get some wild crafted kousa seeds that I picked myself. However the kousa fruit may have been from a ornamental nursery specimen. I don't know if that matters or not as far as the fertility goes. I dormant-ed the seeds under low light and high moisture for a several months. I have what a believe to be one kousa seedling out of about 50 seeds.
I would post a pic but the seedling is too small to see anything.
Has anybody else had luck with these tree's ? And if so what is the trick ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wildcrafted kousa dogwood woes

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 19:42

I'm not sure what you mean by low light, high moisture. Cornus Kousa (kousa dogwood) seed needs to be stratified. Best results will come if given a moist chill of approx 35-40F for 90 days before being brought to warmer (approx 70F) for germination. You can achieve that by sowing the seeds fresh and placing the pots outdoors (protected from rodents if necessary), or placing in a tiny zip lock with a tablespoon or two of moist, sterile medium like damp sand or damp vermiculite, dating the bag, placing it in your refrigerator for about three months. Then you can bring the bag out and sow the contents, vermiculite and all, save the space a pot would take that many weeks in the refrigerator.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here