Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veryzer

Seeds needing light to germinate

veryzer
14 years ago

I have lobelia seeds which need to germinate with light uncovered. Does this mean they need to germinate under lights or in a room with light? (In other words, just not a dark room) If possible I'd like to avoid revving up the metal halide for as long as possible.

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Daylight/sunlight is sufficient, it just takes a bit longer to germinate because of the hours of darkness. Got an inexpensive fluorescent you can put on them 24 hours till they germinate? Lots cheaper to run than the halide. Even an incandescent will work.

Dave

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

What? Dave saying something good about sunlight?!?!?! ;-) Just messin...

- Steve

• veryzer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip Dave. I have a 16 watt aquarium light that would fit well over the tray. Do I have to worry about that light creating too much heat inside the dome?

On a side note, regarding heat, several people have recommended placing trays at a small elevation above a heating vent. However, when recently looking at the back of a Miracle Gro seed starting bag, I noticed a warning to keep away from heat registers (the trays, not the bag). Any input?

Thanks again.

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

Far red light inhibits germination of most seeds and incandescent lights typically output more FR light than another other bulb. I would avoid them.

YMMV,

Mike

• veryzer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is actually a flourescent light (24" 17w). The color is pinkish but the color temp. is supposed to be 8000K. Of course, there's no real industry standard for color temps. but it sure isn't the relatively stark white of a daylight 6500K or 10000K. My guess is that, like the 9325 GE bulb so extravagantly praised by planted tank enthusiasts, it doesn't have much in the yellow/green spectrum, but instead relies on blue and red.