Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eleanor_rigby_gw

What brand of potting soil do you prefer?

eleanor_rigby
18 years ago

I used to exclusively use Metro Mix by Scott's for starting seedlings. The garden center where I used to buy it no longer sells it. I have tried Fafard's 4M Professional Mix. It is ok. What brands are your favorites?

Eleanor

Comments (57)

• Pieonear
    18 years ago

I also start seeds in Miracle Gro potting soil and haven't had a problem yet.

• garden_crazy_girl
    18 years ago

Has anyone here used a mix of jiffy seed starter and miracle grow? Those seem to be the best and I am a seed starting newbie. I have one of those soil cubers I bought online and I don't know if they will work with just seed starter or is you have to mix in some soil too.

have another question: when using a capillary mat for wick method do you place the soil blocks directly on it? dumb question I know but I am a newbie at this.

• SHLGR2
    18 years ago

I just used those jiffy pellets that expand when you add water, they worked just fine i already have pansy seedlings after just 7 days!

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

Has anyone used Expert Gardener or something like that which they sell at Walmart? I went there to get Miracle Gro but it was all wet (fungus gnats yuck) so I got this stuff instead. I was hesitant but it is made by schultz. Seems a little sticky though. Hyponex is bizarre, what's in that stuff?!?

• leaz7b
    18 years ago

Tastefullyjulie,
    I bought the Expert Gardener this year, too, for the same reasons you described. I have always used MG before, but this year, it was really worse, as far as the amt of chunks of bark and just full of gnats here. I am wondering if anyone else has used the Expert, too.

Lea

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Basically, I look for a finely milled mix that is dry and kept inside without holes in the bag. I figure I have a better chance of no pests that way and the finely milled mix has better contact with the tiny seedlings. I've tried Pro Mix, Hoffman, Schultz, others - they are all the same to me. I don't prefer Miracle Gro Potting soil because the particles are too big, but I've used it too with success.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    18 years ago

I have had good results with the huge bags of Miracle Gro and sifting it to collect a fine seed starting soil. I did this when my geographical location prohibited much shopping around. I was satisfied with the results.

• roxy77
    18 years ago

I like the Miracle Grow that is designed to control moisture. The rest of them get way too dry IMO.

• neil_allen
    18 years ago

Early last year I noticed that a local garden center/nursery was using Sunshine Mix #1 to start a lot of their things, and asked if I could buy a compressed bale from them. I have to remove a few short twigs from the mix, but otherwise I like it. It wets easily and is fairly finely textured. The compressed bale does weigh a lot, though.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Hot water will wet the dryest of them. Once I get it wet the first time, I find I don't have trouble after that. I water with warm water from the bottom until the seedlings are bigger.

• jane__ny
    18 years ago

A light, fine,sterile soil-less mix is best. Save the expensive MG or others for when you transplant. There is no need for a mix with fertilizer or moisture retentive additives. As a matter of fact, I'd never use a moisure holding mix for seed starting. That's an invitation to disaster. You need the soil to dry out somwhat before watering to allow air exchange. Fertilizer is unnecessary to start seeds as the seeds have everything they need within themselves. To much fertilizer will only help produce green alge and cause weak growth. Use the fancy stuff once the seedlings are ready for transplant.
    Jane

• maineman
    18 years ago

I use compressed bales of Premier Pro Mix BX and I usually add some extra Horticultural Perlite.

MM

• allank
    17 years ago

My eighth grader did a science fair project on what commercially available potting soil/mix produced the best results when growing wave petunias. We bought all of the available brands at Lowe's. Once we got the seedlings started we transplanted and let them grow for 12 weeks. the Miracle grow blew everything else away. The growth of the Miracle grow petunias was three times that of anything else.

• Patriz
    17 years ago

ProMix BX because the results speak for themselves.

• highalttransplant
    17 years ago

I have tried to find Pro Mix in my area with no luck at all. Can anyone tell me who carries this product?

• dirtdiver
    17 years ago

I usually use Pro Mix. It's readily available, consistently good and comes in big sizes. I've mixed my own at times too, which worked out well enough. Sometimes, if I'm starting really easy stuff like tomatoes, I'll mix in some regular potting soil. I avoid anything with "moisture control."

As an aside, I was called to do a consumer focus study thing a couple months ago in which they asked me my opinions on potting soils. One of the bags they showed me included composted lobster, and the brand may have been "Maine" something and came in a purplish bag. I actually really liked the looks of the stuff. And I'm sure it's not sold in the Midwest. Anyone familiar with it?

• amazon
    17 years ago

I usually make my own. I'l buy bags of compost, humus, peat, vermiculite, even the cheap sandy stuff that is mainly chicken poo. my maters love that stuff. Saves me a ton of money.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

For starting seeds I use Pro-mix or MG seed starting mix. For container plants I only use Fafard 3B. I think it's by far the best potting soil for container plants.
    Karyn

• northforker
    17 years ago

I always start seeds in the soiless pro mix, as I've been told it is the best way to avoid fungus/dampening off/whatever other evil stuff lurks in "dirt/soil"!!!!! Since I buy it in those big 3 ft square bales (cheapest way if you are doing a lot of seeds)I have always used it to pot up the seedlings as well, cause I have a lot of it around. But after reading about that science fair experiment above ( I love plump flowering pertunias!), I am rethinking this. I'll think about only starting the seeds in the promix and then using miracle for the potting up and growing on!!!!!

• mary_pnw_7b
    17 years ago

I use Miracle Grow with a bit of seed starting mix on top. My theory is that the germination will be faster with the seed starting mix, but I will not have to water as much or fertilize after they are up. It seems to work for me.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Compressed bales of Sunshine Mix #4.

• als_garden
    17 years ago

i start my seeds with miracle grow pottin mix and have no problems whatsoever. and when i transplant the seedlings i use the same. outdoors is miracle gro also..thats just my 2c worth.

• novicegardener_2007
    17 years ago

OK, after reading all this i really want to find out.where is this promix sold,i cant find it anywhere.i live in new mexico

• cityboygonecountry
    17 years ago

I make my own seed starting mix simply by mixing perlite and peat moss.

When I lived in California my favorite potting soil was Super Soil. Never had any problems with it. Now that I'm in Oklahoma I can't find Super Soil anymore. All I can Find is Miracle Grow Potting Mix. So that's what I use now.

• neil_allen
    17 years ago

novicegardener 2007 -- If the link below doesn't locate a source, try local garden centers and greenhouses that raise their own plants and sell to the public. Even if they don't have ProMix in their retail area, they may use it and be willing to sell you a bale or large bag.

Here is a link that might be useful: ProMix Retaler Locator

• pepcan
    17 years ago

This year I'm using PlantSmart Premium Potting Mix (that's just what is here). Last year I purchased a bag of Miracle Grow potting soil and it was full of bugs. As soon as I had opened the bag swarms of bugs everywhere. I threw the bag outside and never used it and because of that experience I will never buy another bag of MG again.
    I usually use whatever seems to be at a reasonable cost.
    I have a balcony garden so all my plants are grown in containers.

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Cityboygonecountry - I'm an Okie (by the luck of the draw, if you want to call it that). You won't find the Super Mix here, but Pro-Mix is carried by Home Depot.

However, I did not like Pro-Mix at all. I bought a huge bag (it is packed a lot like the sphagnum peat moss bales) and was expecting this wonderful, marvelous soil. It is nothing but peat, with a teaspoon of perlite. Plus, it took literally forever to moisten it. If it dries out, you're out of luck, it is hard to get it wet again. Never again. I talked to several other people who had the same problem. I know there are those of you who love it, but I ended up having to mix it with other ingredients like tons more perlite, vermiculite, chicken manure, and commercial compost.

It was a mess to get it wet despite adding all those things to it. I was up to my elbows in peat mix in my wheelbarrow.

Schultz has good potting soil, as well as Scott's. I like both brands of these. For my seeds that I sow for summer (annuals), I use potting soil. Heck, I use potting soil all the time now because I winter sow, too. I also direct sow. So, I use several methods and don't find myself having any more problems than I did when I used "seed starting" mix.

If you can find Scott's where you're located (looks like you're down in southern Oklahoma in zone 7b), I'd try that. I like it better than Miracle Gro and the plants don't get dependent on MG fertilizer. They sell Scott's at Home Depost also, but I don't think they sell it at Lowe's.

Just my 2 cents.

Susan

• scottamuss
    17 years ago

I just grabbed whatever good draining soil and compost is around my yard and sift out the big pieces and bake the rest for an hour or so.

• pottingblockguru
    15 years ago

Boy, looks like they're ain't many organic growers in this bunch. And nobody even answered crazy garden girl's question. (too busy buying synthentic potting soils)
    You'll just have to try it and see if you like it. Read up on which mix to buy at my site. And, you place blocks right on top of the capillary mat. Use a sharp knife if the roots grow into them. OH, and what's my favorite potting soil, you'all ask? The kind I make myself! "Recipes" included at my site. And, Now I sell it for soil block makers under the OLD FARM BOY brand. Beats Pro Mix by far! Hey, you get what you pay for!

Here is a link that might be useful: The world's resource for soil block gardening.

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

I use MG potting soil and havent had any problem
    with any of it, all my starts have started ;-))

• debbysunshine
    15 years ago

Nobody here yet has used Supersoil which I think has the least amount of fertilizer to kill the new sapplings. I use the full line and have tried everything else but my tries die reall fast and back I go for Supersoil. The cactus mix is very fast draining so I mix it with potting soil with a bit of charcoal on the bottom and have done very well. Without the mix the pot stays too wet and the cuttings die but I'm going to put seeds in this too which I've never tried before..

• Plant123
    10 years ago

Jeez Miracle Gro / Scotts is a chemical fertilizer. Organic anything is 100x better

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Jeez Miracle Gro / Scotts is a chemical fertilizer. Organic anything is 100x better.

Miracle Grow potting mix is all organic ingredients except for the small amount of synthetic fertilizer added to it. Peat, pine bark fines, perlite, lime - all organic materials.

Not to mention that yours is just a personal opinion but you dug up a 6 year old thread to post it?

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 21:25

• Paula Robb
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Don't buy miracle grow! One minute soil too wet then too dry. Seeds rot and fungus growth on seeds and soil. The worst crop of seed growth I've had in years. Sticking with John Innes in future, too late for this year. Am so disappointed.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    8 years ago

Is John Innes even available within the US? I've read about it in English gardening articles, never have seen it. Usually referred to as 'compost', which has a different meaning to us here where we would call it potting soil, or potting medium.

• Paula Robb
    8 years ago

Hi not sure, we would call it potting compost or soil. Hope you can find something similar to John Innes in the US. All our soils have had most if not all the peat removed hence I think the 'new age' soils either dry out or soggy

• smatthew_gw
    8 years ago

I start seeds in Sunshine Natural&Organic #3, Later in life i use Sunshine Natural&Organic #4.

• naturemitch
    8 years ago

Love Fafards. I have tried mixing my own and it just doesn't work for me. Promix is good too.

• lov2garden
    8 years ago

I love Fafards too, for containers and for the last potting before perennials, etc grown from seed, divisions or cuttings go into garden beds. For seed starting, Hoffman's Seed Starter has been my favorite. It's harder to find lately but I bite the bullet and buy it online. It is just so much easier to wet and retains moisture for longer than other seed starters I've tried.

• Jerry Reid
    8 years ago

I have been starting my own seedlings for over 30 years and have tried many , many products but over the last 10 years or so I have found that my seedlings do much better with FAFARD seed starting mix . I don't have the damping off and I don't lose a lot of plants , sometimes I will add some extra perlite though .I start well over 2400 plants a year and can't afford to lose a lot of them . If you live in the Denver Metro area , O'tooles Garden Centers sell this product . I believe the bales are close to 4 cf . It can be over 30 bucks a bale but believe me It is well worth It . The Pro Mix was ok but I like the Fafard more . You should never start seedlings with a lot of fertilizers in the mix . A good fertilizer I use after the seedlings are up about 2-3 weeks is 'Age old grow' formula, diluted . I hope this helps some of you make a choice . Happy Gardening Everyone and hope you have beautiful gardens in 2016 , Jerry

• Loretta NJ Z6
    8 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen Fafard around here.

• ubro
    8 years ago

my own based on the 5:1:1 recipe from tapla

• fbx22
    8 years ago

I start everything in expanded jiffy pellets and then itransplant those to 3 inch pots with miracle gro potting soil (not the moisture retaining stuff). But not always just in the pellets. Being in a cooler climate with a shorter season I have to start stuff like cucerbits and shelling beans indoors in cow pots. So in those situations I expand the pellets then pull the netting off of them and push them into a cow pot filled wiith potting soil and then sow the seeds into the jiffy pellet dirt. One brand that is way too soggy is Schultz from Menards

• beesneeds
    8 years ago

I use Pro-Mix all purpose potting mix. I pick it up by the "bale", a compacted package of 2 yards/36 pounds I think? It's compacted dry, and I hate to pay for wet stuff unless I seriously have to. It's way less expensive to buy the bulk package and moisten it myself. I use it for everything, from starting seeds to re-potting seedlings and transplants, to topping off potted plants and dressing plants when they come indoors for the winter.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    8 years ago

This is such an old thread - like 10 years old! My preference changed since I answered 10 years ago. I now prefer to start seeds in vermiculite and /or perlite dampened with boiled water, maybe coconut coir too. I find potting mixes have fungus gnats.

• Jerry Reid
    8 years ago

I've heard coconut coir is good and is renewable , which is good . Peat is being depleted faster than they can harvest it and the coconut coir will probably replace the peat . It's also getting very expensive to use peat now . The Fafard I use has gone up about 5 bucks a bag now ..I will start looking around for coconut coir based products .

• Loretta NJ Z6
    8 years ago

The coconut coir is not easy to get around here and I have one source so far that's not by mail. A large brick costs me $20. It looks small but it does expand quite a bit. I mix in my own vermiculite (which is costly) and perlite. I use to use chicken grit on the top too but the nearby feed stores stopped selling. Probably back in stock now that having chickens is a thing. Not sure the grit was effective anyway. It was recommended to top off pots to deter the gnats.

• Jerry Reid
    8 years ago

Try Hydroponics stores , they seem to carry coconut coir bricks more than nurseries ..

• Loretta NJ Z6
    8 years ago

Well thanks for the heads up. I didn't even notice any hydroponic stores in the area. I did find a brick for 13.00 not far from where I was going.