Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
May have made a mistake...

Posted by heirloomjunkie 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 18:52

So I know you're supposed to use a special seed starting mix for seedlings. And I know that no fertilizer should be in the mix right off the bat.

I went to HD knowing this, and still accidentally came home with fertilizer in my mix. oops. And I didn't realize it until after I planted my first batch of onion seeds.

The mix is 'Schultz Seed Starter plus, with extended feed plant food'. It say's it promotes seedling growth, but I'm not so sure. Sooo... will the fertilizer hinder the seeds from sprouting, or harm them down the line? I'm at a point where I haven't planted too many yet and can still switch if need be.

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: May have made a mistake...

That starter mix has very weak fertilizer like transplant fertilizer and will not hurt your seeds or seedlings. Use it--it's fine.Shultz is a good name, next time if you want one without fertilizer get one that doesn't have the plus. Plus usually means fertilizer.

What you don't want to use is a plant mix with time release fertilizer. Full strength fertilizer is detrimental to seedling growth, but not sprouting.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 19:50

'Schultz Seed Starter plus' - addition of an extended slow release fertilizer according to the product description, oilpainter.

Kim, I don't use this, I prefer to add my own water soluble product, diluted, as needed. But it must be formulated for tender seedlings - I find good reviews for the Shultz Plus brand, no statements of complaints about the fertilizer being too strong, somehow detrimental. It doesn't look like by using it that you have anything to be concerned about.

o

Whew. Thanks, both of you. Good to know.

As I'm learning, companies in the "seed" business don't always sell what will work the best (i.e. peat pots and extra tall domes for seedling trays) :)

Kim

o

morz8----Yes it is slow release but a more like transplant fertilizer than Osmacote. Transplant fertilizer also has a rooting hormone and so does this seed starting mix.

o

No personal experience with it and likely wouldn't buy it but since you have it why not do a bit of an experiment with it and then let us know how it works. Do you have another plain mix you can use for comparison?

For future reference plain old Jiffy Mix at Wal-Mart or Home Depot is just $4 a bag and works fine.

Better get those onions going as it is getting late for starting onions from seed. In your zone I hope they are a long-day variety?

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here