Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hens and chicks

Posted by NancyPlants 5bKansas (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 18:57

I recently received seeds in a swap for Hens and Chicks. I looked them up on daves garden.
That site said the flowers are sterile and do not set seed.
Does anyone have info on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hens and chicks

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 23:00

Do you have any other information than 'hens and chicks'....

Several common plants are known as hens and chicks - sempervivum, echeveria, jovibarba, there is even an annual poppy that goes by the common name hens and chicks.

o

I have never tried to grow collected seed, but I have purchased seed and they are very easy to grow, but the seed is like dust. You can sow them indoors any time of the year, I usually start them in February in zone 5 (like right now). Weather the flowers are sterile or not I don't know.

o

I have 12 different kinds of H&C's and have raise them all from seeds. They require light to germinate and soil tempatures of 75 to 80F. Fine perilite is the best to germinate them in. Mist lightly each day, avoid too much water. In the past I've used sand/peat (50/50) with good results.

I harvest seeds by spreading newspaper under the mature flower and lightly shaking them. You may have to do this several time as the seeds only fall when they are ready.

good luck with them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here