Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing in self watering containers

Posted by BioTomato PA 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 19:43

I plan to have a self-watering capillary mat setup for my seedlings this year and I don't know how I would fertilize. Do I take it off and fertilize? Or can I dilute it in the water enough for constant feeding?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing in self watering containers

Couple of questions if you don't mind? First, why the capillary matting? Do you have hundreds of seedlings so that just normal bottom watering as needed would be too difficult?

Capillary matting is notorious for over-watering plants and causing root rot. That is unless you let it dry out well between watering. It also tends to build up salts and bacteria on the matting over time so it needs to be well-disinfected on a regular basis.

Second, given that young seedlings need so little feeding/fertilizing and need it in a well-diluted strength, how difficult would it be to just lightly water them with a diluted liquid fertilizer once or maybe twice before transplanting them to the garden?

But if this is the way you want to go then I'd say, yes, take them off and fertilize off the matting. Trying to mix it in the water means the mat will bind it in the mat itself so minimal if any will get to the plants.

Dave

o
RE: Fertilizing in self watering containers

Thank you very much Digdirt, This year I just wanted to try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here