Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can squash blossoms get damp-off?

Posted by LaurieK123 7b Oregon (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 19:48

In December, I did some germination testing of the seeds I collected last year. One squash plant was so strong and grew so rapidly that I didn't have the heart to throw it out. Even though it was the beginning of my winter.

So, I kept it and transplanted it and got my light set up going. It has been doing great. It is stocky, green, about two feet tall and has about 16-20 little blossoms on it.

But, two days ago I noticed one of the lower blossoms looked like it was damping off right in the middle of the blossom stem. Can damp off happen on a blossom or would it only happen on the main plant stem? This morning, I had to removed another blossom.

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can squash blossoms get damp-off?

Laurie,

Damping Off is a soil borne disease and, to the best of my knowledge, only occurs at the soil level. My guess would be that the blossoms on your squash plant are simply falling off because they aren't getting pollinated.

Squash have male and female blossoms on the same plant. The blossoms are open only during the morning hours of one day. It's during this time that pollen is transferred by bees (which of course you don't have). If no pollination takes place, the blossom will fall off within a few days.
Hope this is helpful,

Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here