Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solanum wrightii/macranthum.... seeds sources

Posted by BronxFigs Zone-7 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 19:48

Cannot locate a source for these seeds in the US, either commercial, or, private growers.

Please, please...find me a source for these seeds. I tried all the usual suspects but still come up empty. I can find the plant, but I need to grow some seeds for a project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Frank
fdvpiano@yahoo.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solanum wrightii/macranthum.... seeds sources

Here is a Euro seed source

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: S. wrightii seeds

o

Dave....
Thanks for the link and source. It's inconceivable that I cannot find a US source for these seeds.
I have never bought seeds from a foreign source, and if nothing shows up in The States, I'll have to order.

Frank

o

After searching for a couple of more hours for seeds, I just decided to be done with this whole business, and ordered seeds from the above link.

Thanks Dave, for the information. Now I wait for the seeds to come.

Frank

o

Since it is primarily a South American tropical I'm just guessing that it isn't a big demand item in the US - thus the lack of seeds. And trying to find a South American based seed supplier seems to be more difficult than most any place else for some reason.

Dave

o

Dave...

I'm guessing the same thing. But the nursery industry/plant retailers are in business to make a buck, and I believe that they would sell anything if there was a demand. Being a tropical plant, I would think, means little, if the public buys their products. The markets are loaded with Brugmansia, Hibiscus, and other plants that are not native to the US, and they have been mass produced, retailed for years in Garden Centers all over the world.

I'm now wondering if this plant has some major problems when grown in quantities needed for distribution? Who knows?

Anyway, I bought a few packets from your source. Now I will see what happens, assuming I successfully germinate the seeds.

Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here