Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Tabebuia seedpod

Posted by Brandee.1969 Central FL (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 19:51

Hi All! Newbie here, first post! (please be gentle) I have a yellow tab seed pod that is still green that I wanted to harvest the seeds and germinate. Anyone know if I should let the pod brown and split open first, or can I plant the seeds green? Thanks for any information! Brandee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Tabebuia seedpod

I believe the seed pod needs to turn brown and split open.

Here is a link I found that talks about it too.

Good Luck :)

Keriann~

Here is a link that might be useful: Tabebuia posting on GW

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 21:27

Agree, the pods need to turn brown - watch them, or bag them with a length of nylon stocking and twist ties, so they don't crack open and spill the seed before you get to it. Note the suggestion to plant immediately after the pod has ripened.

Orlando Sentinel, Mar 1997: Each cigar-shaped pod is more than a foot long and contains dozens of seeds. Wait until the pods start to crack before picking them. Then gather a few pods, and place them in a bag to open and release the seeds.Tabebuia seeds should be planted immediately in a loose potting mix. Cover them lightly with soil, and follow these tips:Keep the soil moist by watering when the surface starts to dry.Grow the seedlings in the full sun.Feed weekly with a half-strength 20-20-20 fertilizer solution.

o

Excellent! Thank you both for the direction and info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here