Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problems with peppers

Posted by matthew18 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 17, 10 at 19:54

Ive never started any garden vegetables from seed. That said,Ive had germination with everthing except my banana & green peppers?? Not sure what Im doing wrong but they been planted for close to 3 weeks and I dont have any sprouts. I have sprouts for dill,sage,basil, oregano, cantaloupe, tomatoes...but no peppers. Are they common mistakes with peppers? Do they need more heat to germinate? I'm lost

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problems with peppers

Peppers typically do need more heat than other plants. The seeds, unless rotted, are probably just hanging around dormant until they receive the heat they need. About 75 to 80 degrees is a good temp for germination.

Try either a heat mat or a clamp lamp with a heat bulb. With the latter, be careful that the soil doesn't dry out. A heat mat would probably be better as it will heat the soil better.

Hope this helps!

Kim

o

Need very warm soil temps as Kim said - 85 degrees is even better. But even then peppers are generally very slow to germinate - depends on the variety - which is why the seed packets often read start them 8-12 weeks before planting date.

Boost the soil temp on them and then just be patient.

Dave

o

Yea...be patient, as i'm in the same painful wait as yourself currently. =) Come on, peppers! lol

o

I have an old hospital baby incubator that I set the temperature at 85 and peppers germinate in record time. When they are about an inch high they go into my coldframe. Al

o

Hospital baby incubator, now that cool, or rather hot. Where can I find one?
KennyP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here