Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veryzer

transplant potting mix

veryzer
14 years ago

I've looked at the faq and previous threads but haven't found a comforting answer.

I bought Promix Ultimate Seeding for germination, but given its local unavailability and expense was hoping to switch for transplanting after the first true leaves come in.

So, do I run a higher risk for root burn or damping off if I buy regular Schultz potting mix (I'm avoiding MG based on consensus opinion)?

Being new to this I'd rather not mess with adding liquid ferts, but if it means a greater chance of success I'll pick up Jiffy potting mix and Schultz starter ferts.

BTW, I'm planning on watering from the bottom. Should I expect to see moisture leeching to the top of the cells or is it okay if that stays dry? Will normal slits/small holes allow water enough access? How long should I let the bottom soak?

Sorry for all the questions, but just know I really appreciate your answers.

Comments (6)

• californian
    14 years ago

Pro-Mix advises not to bottom water.

• veryzer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Interesting. I wonder why.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Bottom watering seedlings depends on the pro mix you buy. Some promix is formulated for hanging baskets and planters and has polymer gel to help it retain water. If you are using this I would suggest you not bottom water, because your plants will be water logged.

Personally I never bottom water seedlings. Their root system is too small to deal with overwatering and that's easy to do with bottom watering. Too much water and you get damp off. I keep my seedlings in small containers, so they will get wet through with top watering, without over watering.When they get bigger and have a bigger root system I transplant into bigger pots.

I do bottom water when plants get bigger and older and are in bigger pots. I let them sit in the water until it shows wet on top so the roots can absorb the most water and my watering is cut down. I don't water again until my finger inserted in the soil tells me it is dry.

I know there are others who don't do things my way , but this works for me

• veryzer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, thanks. I'll hold off on bottom watering for a while at least.

So regarding potting mix....what do you all think?

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

for transplanting after the first true leaves come in.

Well I'm already on record as firm believer in bottom watering so I won't go into that part except to agree that it depends on the ProMix variety. ;)

But for growing-on mixes there are many available. Never used Schultz stuff as it isn't available around here but likely it is fine. I don't care for MG products for several reasons but some folks have reported excellent success with any of the MG with fertilizer in them. Exceptions: the one with Moisture Control shouldn't be used in self-watering containers and the Garden Soil shouldn't be used in ANY container.

Sta-Green is another brand and Walmart sells one under the name Expert Gardener that I have used in some large containers with good results. Fertilome is another brand that seems to get good reviews.

So if a fert-added mix is what you prefer I'd suggest trying a couple of different ones and see which you like best. Likely there isn't much difference between any of them.

My personal preference is to stick with the Pro-Mix BX and feed - only when necessary - with a diluted 1/2 strength liquid fertilizer, one that also contains micro-nutrients. Easy to do and that way I have more control over how much and how often the plants get it since they don't need much and since over-feeding is far more stressful on young seedling than is UNDER-feeding.

Dave

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

I only bottom water, both when the seeds are germinating and growing. It seems to be far better for the seedlings and I have never drowned a plant - even when I have forgotten to remove a tray and left it in the water overnight. The excess water drains off and the plants love it.

Mike