Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I thin?

Posted by WetEars NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 20:41

Hello everyone,

I am a complete beginner. This is my first attempt at growing anything and I have a question about thinning.

I have planted the following to grow indoors: kale, mustard, spinach, peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, basil, parsley, spearmint.

I sowed 5-12 seeds of each plant in their own 6" pot. I already have some seedlings with some of them. My question is, how do I go about thinning them? I am a bit confused. Should I transplant each seedling into its own pot? The kale I'm growing has 13 little guys popping out. Am I going to need 12 additional pots? How many seedling can I have per 6" pot?

I mention pots because they will be grown indoors. They will not be transplanted outdoors.

Please give me some advice on thinning. Thank you.

Andre

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I thin?

Well trying to grow all of those indoors is a whole other set of issues so putting all that aside for now, only the tomatoes and peppers need individual containers. The rest may be transplanted to individual pots or grown in clusters. Your choice. Many grow herbs and leafy greens in small clusters of 3-4 plants each depending on the size of containers used. So if all 12 seeds come up on them then you could transplant them into say 3 plants per pot.

When you get a chance you might want to do some more research on different germination methods here - lots of great how-to FAQs and discussions here. Using 6" pots to begin with isn't ideal by any means.

Good luck with your plants.

Dave

o
RE: forgot to mention

The alternative method of thinning is snipping. Small sharp point scissors used to snip off the excess plants at the soil line.

Dave

o
RE: How do I thin?

If the seeds were planted in peat based seed starting mix, the sooner they get out of it the better. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here