Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my4cowboys_gw

I Am Officially Hooked!

my4cowboys
14 years ago

Alternate post title: It's a Thing of Beauty!

My first seedling sprouted today. I know that for most of you, that's not a big deal, but for me, it's huge.

For me, it represents the first concrete step I have taken toward feeding my family more healthy food, without having to pay an arm and a leg.

It represents a step toward being more self-sufficient and self-reliant.

It represents the fact that my husband and I are finally financially in a place to be able to afford a house that has a fabulous yard with space for a really great garden.

It represents the fact that I survived having four boys in five years and they are now old enough that I have time to focus on something other than basic food, diapers, and care.

It solidifies to me that there is a God, knowing all the complex variables that have to perfectly align in order for this to happen.

A lot of weight placed on those 8 little cotlydon leaves, I know, but I'm so happy about it all.

It's going to break my heart to have to thin the two seeds I planted each in two separate (small) containers, but I take solace in the fact that I *can* do this. In fact, I planted a few more seeds tonight (actually my two youngest boys planted them), in spite of the fact that my family doesn't like broccoli *that* much.

I can see that seed starting is going to be a lifelong thing for me - something so primal and fundamental to know that I'm reconnecting back to my roots (literally).

Sorry to get kind of sappy - I am just really thrilled about this.

Comments (13)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Good for you!

Life is great.

I enjoy that you stop and enjoy the little things in life, as I do..... It totally makes my day.

Thank you for sharing!

Keriann~

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

It doesn't matter how many times you do it, the first time you see a new sprout in a container, it's still a little bit like magic. You take a hard, dormant little seed and make a living thing out of it. I always laugh and dance around and show my husband the teeeeeny little sprouts; we're amazed every time that they grow into big plants. It's sort of like that scene in Castaway where Tom Hanks finally gets a spark to ignite his woodpile and shouts, "I have made FIRE!" :)

Now, the only thing that will top this will be the first time you sit down to eat a delicious meal that came from your garden. Nothing will taste as good. :)

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Oh, and I forgot to add: I never have the heart to thin anything. I usually just wait til both seedlings get true leaves and then transplant them both (or however many there are) into bigger containers. I truly don't have the heart to chop any of them. :)

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Awesome! All the best reasons to start a garden. Keep it up & let us know how it goes! =)

- Steve

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

It never fails to excite me when that first seed germinates...It's nice to see that, especially when you look outside and see a winter that seems never ending! Happy Growing!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

I can foresee the future for your four boys. Growing up in the 1930s when growing our own food was the only way we were going to get it, my little boy hands quickly adapted to the handle of a hoe. For your boys to be a part of providing for the family is a wonderful experience. Al

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

Cowboys,

Thanks for posting that. I agree 100 percent.

Kim

• heather38
    14 years ago

Lovely and it gets better, wow! does it get better! I agree with your sentiments, expect one.
    enjoy :-)

• ninjabut
    14 years ago

, in spite of the fact that my family doesn't like broccoli *that* much.

When the kids grow it, quite often they end up lovin it!

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

I agree completely. I get those same feelings. Life is good!

• stevey_frac
    14 years ago

That feeling is amplified if you have a hard time starting a particular seed, and finally they all sprout at once.

I went downstairs and started yelling because i had not one.. but TWO TOMATO SEEDLINGS! YAY!

• homegrown54
    14 years ago

GOOD FOR YOU! Welcome to the club! I have been growing vegetables and herbs now for over 30 years, kiddo, and you will learn and learn. REMEMBER,
    "Nature, to be commanded, must be obyed"... once you learn to provide what they need, you'll be rewarded many many times over.
    Best, Homegrown.
    P.S. Gardenweb is the best place I've ever found for growing information, and knowledgeable posters.

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

Know the feeling, Stevey. I just had my first onion seed sprout today! Yay! There's hope for me yet!

Kim