Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got my new little set-up going

Posted by ninjabut USDA z 8,CA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 6, 10 at 20:54

Well, I had the DH set up my new little seed starting closet today!
It's a standard closet (long and narrow) with 2 hanging 4 ft shop lights, a heat mat and some seed starting thingies with a plastic lid.
This is my first time starting anything that you don't usually start in the ground. Tomatoes, eggplant, etc etc etc. I'll be starting lettuce and cilantro tomorrow.
Should be fun!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got my new little set-up going

Yay seeds! What kind of lettuce are you growing? I've only ever direct sown it. I've heard lettuce resents transplanting; I'd think with your long growing season, it would be easier just to direct sow?

o

Lettuce is an easy transplant I don"t know where you heard it was hard. I start all mine so they don't take up space in my square foot garden. Then transplant them as room comes available all season long. It's a great space saver so I start seeds every couple of weeks on my patio table.
Curt :-)

o

Hmm, I dunno, I guess it was just one of those things I had heard and never questioned. I've never had a shortage of space and the types of lettuce I like grows like crazy, so I guess I've never really looked into it. Good to know for future reference, though. Thanks!

o

I have a sweet mix, then I just bought some little gem romaine from the new Baker Creeks store that opened near me.
I'll be haunting that place in another week or so!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here